Be Mindful When Fishing

Kev-mo

This isn't a fishing report so please don't move it but a little fishing background is necessary. Despite the blustery conditions I decided to go out today. I figured it'll probably be awhile before it's this warm along with some higher water, plus I ended up with a few extra hours. Water temp was 38 and of course it was a little windy... I hit a few few spots and ended up with one bite and no fish on a five inch grub.

Anyway I got back to the car at 5:00/5:05. I noticed some vehicles down the road a piece and didn't think much of it. Then as I was making my way back to my tailgate to get out of my waders one of the cars was backing up. It turned out to be a police officer. He watched me get out of my waders and I figured he was checking out what I was doing and making sure I was leaving the area. I finish and he pulls up and says the CO wants to speak with me. I'm thinking simple license check. The CO finally walks down and asks for my ID not my fishing license. I'm thinking this is no good :huh: So I handed him both. He asks what I was doing back in the woods and I said "fishing". Then he's asking me if I have any weapons in the car. Of course the answer is no. Then he's telling me he finds it hard to believe I was fishing and do I do any hunting. (Unfortunately no hunting as no land and can't afford it at the moment). "Why do I have a combination fishing and hunting license" In case someone invites me to hunt as I belong to a couple internet fishing forums.

Then I had to sit in my car for a bit and then drive down to his car to do some paperwork. Again I'm thinking :huh: Paperwork for what? I didn't do anything wrong. So I get down to his car and he has me step out and gives me a chance to tell the truth. Let me preface this with "I understand he was just doing his job and I'm glad they are out there". It was so hard not to get ticked off and keep my voice on an even keel. This is the part that irritates me. He says again that he doesn't believe I was fishing and that he doesn't fish much but it doesn't look like I was dressed for fishing as it was wet and mucky. At this point I was wearing my off white (think old and dirty) gym shoes, my black fleece pants, my green (bear in mind it's winter so no green anywhere) rain coat and to top it off my blaze orange hat winter hat. I understand he didn't see me get out of my waders... However based on my garb does it look any more likely I was hunting or scouting? Seriously?

Again sit in the car and wait. Then I thankfully get to leave with nothing more than a delay in getting home. All in all it wasn't a horrible experience. Just a little frustrating at times. Especially when I was driving away and through my open window I heard the CO ask the policeman if I was wearing waders and of course the answer was yes. Too bad that question didn't get asked right away. Might have saved us all a half hour.

I was left with the advice of getting out of the woods/water before dark as opposed to when the area closes. It would make things much easier on everyone. I'm now probably on a potential poacher list somewhere...

So here is my advice to everyone. Be mindful of where you are fishing and what is going on around you. Despite the fact that some places are open until 5:00 or an hour after sunset it might be a good idea to leave before then. I assume poaching is on the rise with the downturn of the economy. That brings up another point. I'd be careful in the woods. If poaching is up then one might assume the alleged poachers would not appreciate a fisherman seeing them putting up a treestand or dragging out a deer.

Happy Fishing

kevin, it sounds like you are almost defending that guy. he sounds like a real jerk to me. I've run into a few of those as well. he must have been the kid who got beat up all the time, and now HE'S the one with the badge. I know you said he was just doing his job, but it does'nt sound like he has any people skills and maybe he could do his job alittle better!?!?!? personally I'm not a big fan of cops, for that matter judges, lawyers and politicions as well! well thats enough of my big mouth.

Joe

Glad I'm on a first name basis with my local CPO's. They already know I'm the kinda nut that fishes year round at any time of day in any kind of weather.

Good idea keeping cool, no point in escalating that kind of situation.

Thanks guys.

Joe,

I try to give people the benefit of doubt as much as possible. I get screwed sometimes...

Eric,

Now that's pretty darn funny until I really think about it happening to me... As soon as I started watching the video I remembered I keep a buck knife in the car. I wonder if that's considered a weapon? He didn't ask about knives though, just guns or bows so I didn't even think about it. duh! probably best I didn't think about it or I might have gotten a hose down

Ron,

No idea of jurisdiction. I didn't really look at his car much, it was dark and lots and lots of lights were on me. He didn't ask for my fishing license, just my id. I gave him both as I thought it was just a routine check. I was in will co.

Does the name Petrikas(sp?) ring a bell.

I do know the husband and wife team lived in Peotone at one time.

Hard to say how many officers currently patrol that region, but it can't be many.

They also have been known to prowl the Wilmington area of the Kankakee.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest airbornemike

Same thing happened to me at the rt 34 bridge in Oswego at the mouth of waubonsie creek, it was a little after dusk in august, I should of been out of the water sooner, probably my fault.

The thing is I'm soak'n wet with my fly rod in hand stink'n of bug dope and these two swat team wanna be's put me through all the paces. They said they been hav'n trouble in the park with vandalls, so I guess my car should be safe and sound this seaon.

This isn't a fishing report so please don't move it but a little fishing background is necessary. Despite the blustery conditions I decided to go out today. I figured it'll probably be awhile before it's this warm along with some higher water, plus I ended up with a few extra hours. Water temp was 38 and of course it was a little windy... I hit a few few spots and ended up with one bite and no fish on a five inch grub.

Anyway I got back to the car at 5:00/5:05. I noticed some vehicles down the road a piece and didn't think much of it. Then as I was making my way back to my tailgate to get out of my waders one of the cars was backing up. It turned out to be a police officer. He watched me get out of my waders and I figured he was checking out what I was doing and making sure I was leaving the area. I finish and he pulls up and says the CO wants to speak with me. I'm thinking simple license check. The CO finally walks down and asks for my ID not my fishing license. I'm thinking this is no good :huh: So I handed him both. He asks what I was doing back in the woods and I said "fishing". Then he's asking me if I have any weapons in the car. Of course the answer is no. Then he's telling me he finds it hard to believe I was fishing and do I do any hunting. (Unfortunately no hunting as no land and can't afford it at the moment). "Why do I have a combination fishing and hunting license" In case someone invites me to hunt as I belong to a couple internet fishing forums.

Then I had to sit in my car for a bit and then drive down to his car to do some paperwork. Again I'm thinking :huh: Paperwork for what? I didn't do anything wrong. So I get down to his car and he has me step out and gives me a chance to tell the truth. Let me preface this with "I understand he was just doing his job and I'm glad they are out there". It was so hard not to get ticked off and keep my voice on an even keel. This is the part that irritates me. He says again that he doesn't believe I was fishing and that he doesn't fish much but it doesn't look like I was dressed for fishing as it was wet and mucky. At this point I was wearing my off white (think old and dirty) gym shoes, my black fleece pants, my green (bear in mind it's winter so no green anywhere) rain coat and to top it off my blaze orange hat winter hat. I understand he didn't see me get out of my waders... However based on my garb does it look any more likely I was hunting or scouting? Seriously?

Again sit in the car and wait. Then I thankfully get to leave with nothing more than a delay in getting home. All in all it wasn't a horrible experience. Just a little frustrating at times. Especially when I was driving away and through my open window I heard the CO ask the policeman if I was wearing waders and of course the answer was yes. Too bad that question didn't get asked right away. Might have saved us all a half hour.

I was left with the advice of getting out of the woods/water before dark as opposed to when the area closes. It would make things much easier on everyone. I'm now probably on a potential poacher list somewhere...

So here is my advice to everyone. Be mindful of where you are fishing and what is going on around you. Despite the fact that some places are open until 5:00 or an hour after sunset it might be a good idea to leave before then. I assume poaching is on the rise with the downturn of the economy. That brings up another point. I'd be careful in the woods. If poaching is up then one might assume the alleged poachers would not appreciate a fisherman seeing them putting up a treestand or dragging out a deer.

Happy Fishing

Its happen to me and friends in the Buckeye with a game warden and a watercraft officer. The game warden was just hell bent on impressing the chief for busting a poacher taking trout over the limit. If he had looked closer he'd have seen that the stringer had the limit of trout mixed with panfish. He was lessthan happy after it was pointed out to him after his supervisor drove up.

The watercraft officer was a 'Rambo' want-a-be that asked first if we had a job then proceeded to write violations for several individuals for pfd not worn, (not required to wear), pfd not safe (still had the price tags on). Too many individuals in a 17' canoe( two adults & a teen). The best was each canoe and kayak didn't have a fire extinguisher, visual distress flag or flares ( that is require of powerboats or when on Lake Erie not a small stream in southcentral Ohio). Then we had to take half a day fromwork to face the judge halfway across the state. The judge look at the citations and our pictures of the items in question and officer, he dismissed everything.

We wanted to share our appreciation to the officer for his effort and sent him a certificate for donuts and coffee at Jolley Pirate.

Needless to say those involve shared the pictures and statements to the district supervisor and department chief.

Maybe it's just my pleasant visage ;) but whenever I've been approached by a game warden they were always ok guys-even the one who arrested and jailed me for no license when I was in my teens.My last experience was this summer wading the Kank.When I offered to show him my license he declined saying he'd occasionally seen my car parked along this stretch and just wanted to know how I'd done.He might've even brought me good luck because after he left I went on to hit 2 20+ smallies catching one that was my biggest ever.