music type question

Norm M

I can't remember much of what Dennis DeYoung[sp] taught me back in 8th grade music . While I was out today comparing the thump on swim bait trailers one thumped harder and heavier than another .

It was kinda like moving from treble toward bass and it's been bugging me all afternoon and evening how that's decribed musically . Is it a change in tone or pitch or something else ?

I know it's not the most earth shattering thing , it's just one of those weird things your mind does when you get lost in random thought while fishing .

Hopefully one of the resident musicians can bring peace to an oddly troubled mind , well one small part of it .

I can't remember much of what Dennis DeYoung[sp] taught me back in 8th grade music . While I was out today comparing the thump on swim bait trailers one thumped harder and heavier than another .

It was kinda like moving from treble toward bass and it's been bugging me all afternoon and evening how that's decribed musically . Is it a change in tone or pitch or something else ?

I know it's not the most earth shattering thing , it's just one of those weird things your mind does when you get lost in random thought while fishing .

Hopefully one of the resident musicians can bring peace to an oddly troubled mind , well one small part of it .

A change in pitch to a lower frequency with an increase it transient attack coupled with a raise in volume might be a reasonable analogy. Dennis De Young was your music teacher !? GP

That was pre Styx , he was in a band called TW4 if I remember . I never was a Styx fan prefered the Dead or Heartsfield or Merle Haggard , still do .

Edit : Thanks for the explanation .

According to ANSI acoustical terminology, Pitch is the auditory attribute of sound according to which sounds can be ordered on a scale from low to high.

So if the sound the bait is putting out changes to a lower sound, it's pitch is being lowered, just like tuning down a string on a guitar.

And tone is the use of pitch in language to distinguish words. In other words, tone can be used to describe a mood, ie, the tone of this piece is somber.

It sounds like the tail thumping baits are creating different notes as they move in the water. Have you figured out what notes the baits are putting out? It might be an interesting experiment to find out at what pitch the fish are most likely to strike the bait. The tune your baits to that note.

I think Dennis has a musical based on the Hunchback of Notre Dame coming out some time this year. Whether you liked Styx or not, Dennis DeYoung is a talented guy who writes a lot of music and is still on the circuit. And from what other musicians have said about him, he's a pretty decent guy.

Hope this helps...

My two cents.

The thump of a lure is similar to the beat or tempo in music. It is the time signature of the lure regardless of the pitch or sound of the lure. The thump can be slow, Largo. Or fast, Presto. Or eratic, accelerating and decelerating. Lots of ink has been spent in fishing journals on pitch and rhythm in fishing lures. An example is Doug Hannon's theory of the attracting and triggering qualities of bass lures. In it, a steady thump is attracting while an eratic thump is triggering. And, since the combinations of pitch and rhythm are virtually infinite, there is always room for one more bait to fill an empty nitch. There must be some truth to it otherwise all we would need is an assortment of River Runts sufficient to fish all depths.