Gearing up

WadeT

Stocking foot breathables , they are the lightest thing going and you can use them year round . Buy them big enough so you can wear Polypro or under armour in coldwater and fit some extra socks in the foot . Stocking foot with seperate boots are lighter and easier to walk in .

You will get too hot in summer with neoprene or rubber . Plus with neoprene it's a pain wiggling in and out of them .

I have both neoprene and rubber lined chest waders, also have a pair of breathable hip waders. Norm is right, neoprene and rubber are killers in even slightly warm weather. I'm getting a pair of breathable chest waders this year, though I still may hang onto my neoprenes for winter wading. That'll probably depend on how well the breathables work out.

Stocking foot breathables , they are the lightest thing going and you can use them year round . Buy them big enough so you can wear Polypro or under armour in coldwater and fit some extra socks in the foot . Stocking foot with seperate boots are lighter and easier to walk in .

You will get too hot in summer with neoprene or rubber . Plus with neoprene it's a pain wiggling in and out of them .

What he said.

Jim is going to keep the neoprenes cuz he thinks all the chicks dig his hootchie koo dance getting into them . Unfortunately it's the guys that back thier cars in that are digging it . :rolleyes::P:lol:

Breathables are a must. I did not listen for years when other anglers told me how great breatheable waders were. Boy, was I stupid. Norm is right about buying the waders that require the angler to buy a pair of wading shoes to go over the bootie foot - best way to go.

I will throw one more thing out there.........If you will not be wading super deep, try the waist high breatheables. Just like a pair of pants. I absolutely love them!!!!

Whats the best type waders to buy? Rubber or neoprine? and why? :huh::lol::ph34r:

Thanks

Wade

[/quote

Both are torture in hot weather, in my opinion make fishing un-fun. In cold weather neoprene is far better than rubber. It hugs and conforms to your body. I once was wading with a guy in the Fox in like March or April. We both got swept into water up to our necks. We were next to an island. I grabbed some tree roots and him. We made it to shore. Yes it was freaking scary.

I was wearing neoprene, he was wearing cheap canvas/rubber waders. I had 6mm Neoprene waders. He dumped out, literally a gallon, at least of water out of his. My socks were dry.

Those waders were very warm. I once wore them in July in 90 degree heat, in the Kank because I had a cut and stiches on my leg. I fished about an hour before I started seeing oasis illusions. Afterwards I dumped out a gallon of so of sweat.

I wore a friends pair of canvas covered rubber waders in Fall once. They were okay, but they are very stiff and far less comfy than mine.

Are you even interested in breathables? Is cost a factor?

Im a "budget fly fisherman". So yes cost is a factor. Id like to stay under 150 bucks. Thanks for all yalls help....this has got to be one of the best forums I have been to in a long time!!// :rolleyes::lol:

Do you wet wade in summer?

I own 3 kinds of waders. In the cool weather in Spring or Fall if I'm not going to be too active such as when floatubing I use an inexpensive nonbreathable lightweight wader which costs only a fraction of a breathable($49.95 from Cabelas) and which is less likely to leak as well.In warm weather if I'm going to be active as when wading I use a breathable.Over the years I've had 3 pair of premium breathables and all have beem prone to leak in the crotch.Rather than dealing with these aggravating pinhole leaks I wear a pair of breathable waist highs($99.95 from Cabelas)in lieu of street pants under the chest highs and stay dry despite the leaks.In the really hot weather nothing beats wet wading as long as you're free of cuts or sores.Wet wading is controversial but I've been doing it for over 40 years with no ill effects.Finally, in the cold of early Spring,late Fall or Winter I wear 5mm. stockingfoot neoprenes($59.95 from Cabelas).They're very durable, don't leak,and don't require the hassle of multi-layering to the extant of breathables.I floatubed for Trout well into January this year in low 30 water temps and was never cold.In the long run 3 pair costs no more than 1 since each will last longer when not worn exclusively.You will in fact be $ ahead than if you wore the much more expensive braethables exclusively.

Norm has the right idea if your looking for ONE pair of waders go with the breathable stocking foot. Get it large enough for a pair of wicking thermal/liners.

I use wading boots or NRS ATB wetshoes with my breathables or nylon waders.

Many chest waders can be roller down to convert to a waist deep unit.

I own four pair of waders. Three are stocking-foot chest waders. One is 5mm neoprene for winter steelheading. A good sturdy wading boot is best here.

One pair of light weight nylon for light packing into isolated streams in the summer. One pair of breatable for all-round use most all season and applications.

I also use a pair of rubber hip boots with cleats. I throw them in the canoe for shallow muddy bottoms or clay banks of smaller streams.

Rick

Ken is that a dig?

Wade: I don;t have much to ad except this.

I went to Joseph Meyer's (One More Cast) wader clinic a few months ago. Joseph taught me some things about picking waders that were great. A LOT of it had to do with correct sizing. Poor sizing is one of, if not the MAIN cause of crotch leaks. He also discussed how to take waders off without stretching seams etc.

I am a big fan of breathables.

If you wade, spray a product like Nexcare , a type of liquid bandage , over your cuts and scraps . It will help protect them wet wading or in waders . I've been using products like these since I heard about them from the late John Husar and haven't suffered any infections yet .

I prefer wet wading in warm weather but go with the breathables if stinging nettles , poison ivy or the like have to be dealt with .

Mark ,

The best weirdo repellant is a nasty stare and looking like they are a step away from a meeting with your fist .