New Illinois Supreme Court Decision Regarding Access to the Mazon River

Mark K

I was reading stuff on the ESCONI (a local geology club) and noticed this. If it's been discussed already (especially by me, I'm getting old don't judge me), my apologies.  Spoiler alert: It's not good news. 

https://www.esconi.org/esconi_earth_science_club/2022/06/new-illinois-supreme-court-decision-regarding-access-to-the-mazon-river-fossil-morris-fossils.html

On 2/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Mark K said:

I was reading stuff on the ESCONI (a local geology club) and noticed this. If it's been discussed already (especially by me, I'm getting old don't judge me), my apologies.  Spoiler alert: It's not good news. 

https://www.esconi.org/esconi_earth_science_club/2022/06/new-illinois-supreme-court-decision-regarding-access-to-the-mazon-river-fossil-morris-fossils.html

If that is the best anybody in Illinois conservation can do, that can't be good. 

In response to the Supreme Court Case, a River Access Bill Committee was established by IEC to draft the proposed River Access Bill.  I am on the committee and we have been working diligently behind the scenes on the River Access bill and it is in final form and we believe will survive judicial scrutiny.

IEC Director Jennifer Walling will be our conversation speaker at the Blowout tomorrow night and will talk in part about the River Access Bill that will be introduced to the House Committee next week for vote in Springfield.  If it passes the House it goes to Senate for passage and then to Governor.  

DNR has shown some resistance to support for the bill, saying it will increase their administrative burden,  and there is big meeting today with DNR and Bill Committee counsel to address their concerns and garnerDNR  support. We have to have DNR on board for bill passage.  

A media announcement will be forthcoming on submission of the bill to be followed by a big campaign push for the Bill.

1 hour ago, Bart Durham said:

DNR has shown some resistance to support for the bill, saying it will increase their administrative burden,  and there is big meeting today with DNR and Bill Committee counsel to address their concerns and garnerDNR  support. We have to have DNR on board for bill passage. 

Because the current governor has zero concern for these matters. Not too long ago, the IDNR would have not only been on board, but pushed hard for it. J.B. would rather have all of his "yes people" running it, rather than qualified individuals with experience in natural resource management. Makes it easier to divert dedicated sportsman dollars into his general slush fund. 

We'll need everyone's support to get behind this bill.  Please sign the call to action in Terry's link above.  We believe the Governor will support and sign the bill if we can get it before him.