Quarry Bass

phaaker

I live near a few quarries that have largemouth and smallmouth bass in them. The only issue is that the desirable fish (18+) tend to hang out in deeper areas. Anyone have any tips for fishing in these deep and clear environments? I know to try a sink tip : )

Fish low-light conditions, i.e., morning and evening, overcast, or any in combination with wind/waves. Be stealth. Make long casts. Be patient.

As this year's fry mature, the adults will move in and herd them out over open water. Keep an eye out for mid-lake feeding frenzies. Take advantage of them. You'll often find only medium-sized bass, but the action can be great.

My best quarry fishing has been on cloudy days with a Senko deep along the quarry wall. Patience. They are often deeper than you think.

Quarrys can be tough. Long ago I fished them a lot. Clear can mean infertile. So they do not have the big food base that comes in lakes and ponds that have sloping shores and lots of bottom structures to support forage. Worst case you have just abrupt walls. Eric's tip on summer schooling is good especially if you can launch a boat to get out after 'em. At this time of year the spawn will have the bass in along the shores. Generally think of the vertical walls as vertical shores. Position your boat next to the shore and make casts parallel to the shore. or do the same from the shore. A slow sinking senko, hula grub, or wacky worm will "work" along this vertical bottom as it falls. So emulate that with a sinking fly line. That said, I like normal ponds and lakes better.

If you follow Eric's advice re fishing early/late or even at night you should get topwater action pounding the rocky shoreline in summer.Otherwise except possibly during heavy overcast you'll need to fish deep either near shore or better yet near any offshore structure available which will require a fast sinking full sinking flyline.That kind of ffing can become tedious.Some of my best bass outings in years past both spin & ffing came from a quarry

Besides what Eric posted, like Ronk said, a full sinking line. I used it for fishing for stripers in 30-40ft water. It works, but at that point you're not fly fishing, you're basically jigging with a fly rod. Ryan