4th Monday 1/27/14

John Loebach

Thanks John.

Both fly tiers and non-tiers are welcome to join us for this event. If you're not a tier, just come out to chit-chat and hang with us. We'll be tying the Craft Fur Muddler Minnow or CF Muddler for short. This fly has been very productive for me. It's a lot of fun to tie. It involves deer hair stacking and spinning.

We'll have complementary coffee, sodas, and snacks. For those that would like to have some Thai dinner, come a little bit early. We'll start tying around 7:00pm.

Here is the address:

Thai Garden

225 W. Golf Rd.

Schaumburg, IL 60195

(847) 519-1770

ThaiGardenUSA.com

post-1339-0-38017700-1389539895_thumb.jpg

Fortgot to mention that I'll have all the materials necessary to tye the fly; but tyers, please bring an Ultra Thread 140 (White preffered), a G.S.P. Thread 100 (any colors), and a hair packer (not hair stacker) along. Hope to see you here.

I love Sanibel, we try and get there every year. Norm Zeigler's Fly Shop on the island is a good place too, and Norm is usually around tying flies and offering advice to tourists on the fishing. He gets out throughout the day to check on how the Snook Migration is looking. I stopped in there one morning to get some heavy fluoro, and he told me his fish count, and that he expected the migration to be in full force the next day. Next morning, walked out to the beach, and he was right. Lots of Snook on the move. While there, Norm had told me to fish the Bird Sanctuary on the island, but to stay out of the water because of alligators. I just ended up catching a few lady fish, but it was gorgeous. Out in the big water though, I couldnt keep the fly in the water for more than a second before a Mackerel would pound it, and all these fish on a fly that was literally a peice of olive craft fur tied to the bend of the hook, thats it. I love that place, now you got me day dreaming! Ryan

Ryan where do you guys stay? I'm looking at Augustine because it's closer but the close proximity of a beach I can leave the kids on and the snook fishing has me thinking. Did you kayak at all?

I love Sanibel, we try and get there every year. Norm Zeigler's Fly Shop on the island is a good place too, and Norm is usually around tying flies and offering advice to tourists on the fishing. He gets out throughout the day to check on how the Snook Migration is looking. I stopped in there one morning to get some heavy fluoro, and he told me his fish count, and that he expected the migration to be in full force the next day. Next morning, walked out to the beach, and he was right. Lots of Snook on the move. While there, Norm had told me to fish the Bird Sanctuary on the island, but to stay out of the water because of alligators. I just ended up catching a few lady fish, but it was gorgeous. Out in the big water though, I couldnt keep the fly in the water for more than a second before a Mackerel would pound it, and all these fish on a fly that was literally a peice of olive craft fur tied to the bend of the hook, thats it. I love that place, now you got me day dreaming! Ryan

Ryan where do you guys stay? I'm looking at Augustine because it's closer but the close proximity of a beach I can leave the kids on and the snook fishing has me thinking. Did you kayak at all?

Mike, I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Sanibel. It is right on the beach. You can walk along the beaches searching for snooks from April - July. Tarpons migrate thru these areas from June - August, too. There are a lot places - beaches, fishing piers, passes, the Causeway islands going into Sanibel - that you can DIY. There are a lot of places that you can a rent kayak for fishing too. April - Sept is the best time for beach fishing.

I'm going to post a full report in coming week.

Hey mike, Casa Ybel. The place is nice, and super kid/family friendly, right on the water. Also has a nice pool with bar. Wife and kids at pool, dad 100ft away fishing at the beach! I kayaked in the bird sanctuary, but no luck fishing. Not to cheap, but well worth it for the room. Screened in lanai to have a few cocktails with the wife when we put the kid down. Ryan

Thanks Ryan, that place looks real nice. The DIY snook fishing I experienced was at night off docks and bridges on Long Boat and Anna Marie Island. I really didn't care for Long Boat key, to many high rise's, I liked the "old florida" vibe of Anna Marie.

Hey mike, Casa Ybel. The place is nice, and super kid/family friendly, right on the water. Also has a nice pool with bar. Wife and kids at pool, dad 100ft away fishing at the beach! I kayaked in the bird sanctuary, but no luck fishing. Not to cheap, but well worth it for the room. Screened in lanai to have a few cocktails with the wife when we put the kid down. Ryan

Tom I was on Long Boat Key at the end of March last year, so the beach fishing wasn't active yet. I here that the bridge tolls can get costly if you move on and off the island a lot.

Mike, I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Sanibel. It is right on the beach. You can walk along the beaches searching for snooks from April - July. Tarpons migrate thru these areas from June - August, too. There are a lot places - beaches, fishing piers, passes, the Causeway islands going into Sanibel - that you can DIY. There are a lot of places that you can a rent kayak for fishing too. April - Sept is the best time for beach fishing.

I'm going to post a full report in coming week.

Mike, the owner of that fly shop on the island said just to walk any of the public beaches during the migration. I fished right from the beach at the resort. The day I was leaving is kind of when the migration was just starting to pick up. I would see a group of 2-3 fish, maybe half dozen at times. Then a couple minutes later, another group. The water was real choppy and kicking up a lot of sand, so I could barely spot the fish, but they were only maybe 10 feet off shore, and in a couple feet of water. A lot of stingrays to.

I here that the bridge tolls can get costly if you move on and off the island a lot.

You pay only one $6 toll before you cross over the bridges to Sanibel. Coming out from Sanibel to the mainland, you don't need to pay toll. From Sanibel, you can hop to the 2 islands - Island A & B - along the Causeway and return to Sanibel without paying toll.

Here is some info on fishing Sanibel:

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2013/11/01/sanibel-island-fly-fishing/

http://www.normzeiglersflyshop.com/

http://www.sanibel-captiva.org/sanibel-island-fishing/#fly

http://www.snookfly.com/about/