Cast & Compare 9/14/13 8:30 - 12 noon

Cast & Compare 2013
Saturday 9/14/13 - 8:30am to 12 noon
Glenwood Forest Preserve
1644 S. River St., Batavia, IL. 60510

Bring one or more of your new or favorite rods to compare to others. This is a great chance to try other rods on the water to see what you like. If you are new to fly fishing come out & learn!
This fall we have new products from Sage & Reddington. Doug Taylor Sage pro staff will be on hand with 10 or more outfits including switch & spey rods. Doug is an accomplished 2 hand caster & will offer casting tips.

I will have at least four seven weight lines to test - Airflo Plus 40, Rio Clouser, Scientific Anglers Mastery Magnum & Cortland Classic. Bring your 7 wt. rod or try them on Echo Edge 84 & St. Croix Bank Robber.

Although I’m still working with the shops expect to see gear from Cabela’s, LL Bean, Orvis, Echo, TFO & more.

We’ll also have a raffle of donated gear during lunch to cover expenses.
Come join us for this free event – stick around & we’ll grill & then go fishing.

Update - Andy or Will from Chicago Flyfishing Outfitters will be there with Scott rods & more.

Doug Taylor wrote:

Hello John,
Heres a list of the rods i will be bringing to the Event.

Sage 790-4 Method

Sage 611604 One Switch

Sage 4116-4 One Switch

Redington 790-4 Vapen Red

Redington Prospector 6110-4 Switch

Redington Dually 6110-4 Switch

Redington Butter Stick 370-3

Redington Butter Stick 466-3
I thought people would be more into the Switch and Single handers rather than Spey.

Great weather, great food, great fellowship and a great fly rod display made for a great event at today's Cast & Compare. Thanks a lot John for putting it together. Here are some photos from today:

11ql360.jpg

2zfn7md.jpg

2dvr7vd.jpg

vy1c8n.jpg

6hnxgi.jpg

k50fgh.jpg

to top it off after lunch of delicious brat and sweet corn I picked up a 14" on yellow muddler that fought like a 17"

34euog5.jpg

I really enjoyed this event. I tested quite a few outfits. my favorite was the bankrobber by st Croix . it fits my style of fishing. the buttersticks needs a stiffer spine for my liking. mike's mangrove was the first one I tried but seemed faster than the bankrobber.

finally I was able to meet tom and bart. seeing tom's tandem rig and how he casts it is now etched in my mind. was another great ISA event thumbs up john . rich mc

Thanks for putting up the pictures Bart.Yes it was a super event with even even better weather this year.I believe we had about 36 attend an event that was just about perfect in every way.From a great selection of fly rods to everyone sharing their knowledge and expertise to a fine lunch and a successful raffle to some successful fishing it was a very good day.

Thanks again to John Loebach for a great outing.

I really enjoyed this event. I tested quite a few outfits. my favorite was the bankrobber by st Croix . it fits my style of fishing. the buttersticks needs a stiffer spine for my liking. mike's mangrove was the first one I tried but seemed faster than the bankrobber.

finally I was able to meet tom and bart. seeing tom's tandem rig and how he casts it is now etched in my mind. was another great ISA event thumbs up john . rich mc

Tried Mike's Mangrove and BVK, very nice rods. Wished I could have been there to try that Bank Robber! Good to hear it was a success.

Thanks - another great job by all. Eugene watched the sign in & sold raffle tickets ALL day. Great help grilling Rich M. & Bob D. Tom's fly box & 5wt rigged tandem drew strong interest. Cory displayed a box of killer deer hair bugs. Of the new rods I liked the Scott 7 wt. & the Redington butter stick glass was ok but not impressive. Sage Method & One rods cast a mile - no surprise there. Orvis Access was sweet caster - thanks Ron you picked a good one. Oh - the best glass there was Ed's Orvis Fullflex A 6 wt. blank by Phillipson. Another couple deserve mention Mike's TFO Mangrove is a better rod than the popular TFO BVK & Echo Edge 84 7 wt. (8wt. not as good). those & the Orvis Access are all close in quality, performance & cost 1/3 of the Scott, Sage & other high end rods. I don't value cosmetics on fishing rods enough & a bargain is a GOOD thing. Just my take.

Met Joe K. & compared notes on some glass rods. We had at least 3 new to fly casting & Will from CFFO may be a new member soon.

John

For power casting I was impressed with the Hardy Sintrix & Sage's Method 9'7wts though I didn't like the bright candy apple red color of the Sage.And where did Sage come up with that goofy name? I also thought that my midpriced Echo 3 10'7wt held its own with those hi priced rods and is better looking than either.

Thanks as always to John for putting together another great ffing event the only downer for me being seeing all those guys putting ketchup on their hot dogs. B)

Thanks Rich and also for your grill work.The line is an 8wt Airflo 40+ which is their distance casting line.A 7wt would do fine too.I prefer Airflo lines for hardmouth warmwater fish because it's the only line with no stretch for hopefully a better hookset especially at longer range where I usually fish.It's also unaffected by deet and outlasts other flylines as well.I don't use it for trout where the lack of stretch increases the chance for break offs with 4-6x tippets.