Does anyone add a little orange to their streamers?

Rob G

Does anyone add a little orange to their streamers that mimick baitfish. (Yes, I know orange is often used in imitating crayfish)

The reason I ask is I often see redhorse suckers such as these cruising in at least one of the streams I fish and I don't see a lot of orange used in smallie flies.

post-485-0-87166200-1372181785_thumb.jpg

rg, i have intentionally added orange to a swimming fly as well as red yellow and green depending on flora, fauna, critters. gary borga(sp) has talked about that in relation to the specific enviro and time of day. i think it is a very good idea. tjt

Yesterday when I was out, the water was pretty clear and when the sun started to shine thru, the orange on these suckers really stood out as they swam by. I'm assuming that the young fry have those same color characteristics.

Orange is due for a revival. Helin's favorite and top selling color for Flatfish was orange. The company also produced our family favorite Light Orange. Then they had the same two colors with Black Back and Red Head that had distinctive Mohawk looks.

mxL_oBv4AZUTzGzb8m1lIYQ.jpg

Other manufacturers picked up on orange like the Tango (long out of production) which morphed into the Tadpolly (not seen much) and now the River Rocker which has an Orangeade and a Perch pattern with a lot of orange in it.

On a cloudy day orange bellied topwaters are my favorites. I landed 18 green bass late Tuesday morning with an orange bellied chug bug. The red bellied dace is common in some local creeks. I'm sure they are gobbled up by larger fish. They often have an orange tint to their underside.