Tim A

I was inspired to tie some of Blanton's Sar-Mul-Mac flies the other day (so named for imitating sardines, mullet, and mackerel--originally a striper fly), and decided I'd replace most of the bucktail with synthetics and exchange the chenille head for some clumps of ice dub. So, I called it the Dub-Mul-Mac.

post-1902-0-69645000-1361151509_thumb.jpgpost-1902-0-56901800-1361151547_thumb.jpg

Thanks, guys. I'm happy with how these turned out, but there are still things I'm working on when trying to replicate my own creations--getting the lateral line hackle to stop spinning around, playing with amounts of body material, different shoulder flash materials, and the final trimmed shape on the heads.

Rich, I posted the first picture on Blanton's facebook wall, and he seemed to like the fly. He was telling me it reminded him of Catherwood's "Giant Killer" striper flies, which he said inspired his Sar-Mul-Mac pattern. It's always fascinating to talk to the pioneers of the sport about how ideas got passed around and evolved.

Mike, I agree with the Zern law for sure. But at the end of the day I always feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't tie on even my prettiest flies just to see if I will be rewarded.

Tom, the heads are clumps of ice dub like I've done in other patterns (like the Senyo Sculpin variations I showed you). I'm not truly "brushing" the fibers back, just pulling them straight up with my fingers and giving a shape/taper with the scissors.

I will try to do a step-by-step and post again in this thread sometime soon. Haven't had a lot of time recently.

In the meantime, here is Dan Blanton's SBS on how to tie the original: http://www.danblanton.com/sarins.html