BuhBye Powerton

Dana Lee

Actually the state leases it from Commonwealth so we can fish. Powerton was hurting for cash lately, but this was a presidential action. He signed executive orders closing several coal burning plants and limiting their CO2 output to impossible numbers due to his Green energy plan. Everyone down here is pissed to put it lightly. My info came from Obama supporters downstate, your argument is invalid. I trust my peers a Hell of a lot more than our liberal media. Again, more info to come. Deep breath...

Sure it could help the smallies. But the state doesn't own it. And I bet they wouldn't be able to sell it to the state when we have no money. The company has raised the lease price in the last ten years to the point of us paying the lease mainly for the trophy catfishery. One that I would put up in the top 5 lakes in the nation before the summer kill.

I have a similar dilemma with a spot I enjoy fishing, I know though that the area would be far better from an environmental stand point to do with out the coal burner operating. I'm sorry to here they still can't keep the facilities open for you guys to utilize after they shut down the fossil station, ya never know exelon may donate the property.

They shut down the power plant at Heideke and the fishing is still pretty good. I gotta think closing the plant could do nothing but help all the fish at Powerton. I drive by Powerton on my way to other lakes in that area and in the last few years there are seldom any cars or boats in the parking lot. If it closed, there are not a lot of guys that would be put out.

I also think getting rid of a polluting power plant is a good thing even if a few catfishermen lose a good fishing spot.

Midwest Generation, a subsidiary of Edison Mission Energy that runs six coal-fired power plants in Illinois, including Powerton, announced yesterday that it will likely declare bankruptcy — which may or may not lead to all of its plants being shuttered.

Getting rid of coal fired power plants is a good thing.

• Coal-fired power plants that sell electricity to the grid produce more hazardous air pollution in the U.S. than any other industrial pollution sources.
  • More than 400 coal-fired power plants located in 46 states across the country release more that 386,000 tons of hazardous air pollutants into the atmosphere each year.
  • Particle pollution from power plants is estimated to kill approximately 13,000 people a year.

“Power plant pollution kills people,” said Charles D. Connor, President and CEO of the American Lung Association. “It threatens the brains and nervous system of children. It can cause cancer, heart attacks and strokes.

“It’s time that we end the ‘toxic loophole’ that has allowed coal-burning power plants to operate without any federal limits on emissions of mercury, arsenic, dioxin, acid gases such as hydrogen chloride and other dangerous pollutants,” said Charles D. Connor, president and CEO of the American Lung Association.

“People living closest to these plants, especially children, seniors, pregnant women and those with chronic disease face the greatest risk, but it doesn’t stop there. Pollution from coal-fired power plants takes flight and travels far into other states—threatening public health.”

Mike is correct. MG has had it for awhile now. Didn't wanna confuse anyone with a different name. I will agree with Scott in his assessment of the hazards of powerplants. The ethanol plant in Pekin smells like it causes more damage tho. I do realize that CO is odorless tho. Just a huge blow to downstate IL jobs and fisherman that need that place to live. And those few cars u see are ppl that wouldn't eat if the lake closes. I know this from personal experience. I've given them plenty of rough fish over the years.

Similar situation down here, they recently closed our coal burning power plant just outside of Danville and we've put up a hundred windmills across the way. Less pollution but less jobs that are desperately needed. The power company owned all the surrounding land including one decent lake which they leased out to a large fishing club and rv park. When the plant closed, the land and structure are now for sale and the fishing club and lake are closed off. It's not likely that the plant can be sold at this time and therefor the area is not likely to be reopened any time soon. Good and bad.

If you need to supplement your table with fish mercury is the worst. It bio accumulates in the food chain & in older large predators. once eaten it does the same in us, plus its stable & cycles into the food chain repeatedly especially in rivers where the sediment is moved by floods. Many healthy lakes & rivers in the eastern states & Illinois have moderate to severe mercury accumulation, mostly airborn from burning coal. Still hurts when we lose a place to fish.