My First Attempt on a Mega Diver (Dalhberg Style)

Guest Josh Glovinsky

Guest Josh Glovinsky

Here is my first attempt on a Mega Diver based on Larry Dalhberg's Mega Diver. I don't think i went close enough to the eye with the deer hair and my collar is not quite symmetrical.

post-1878-0-38645500-1357425585_thumb.jpg

post-1878-0-19440300-1357425649_thumb.jpg

Hi Josh,

Nice fly, there is a technique that you can use to make a nice diving collar.

From the hardware store buy a section of small clear plastic tubing with a diameter small enough to cover the wing of the fly. Cut a section about 3/4" inch long and cut a slot in the bottom. After tying the wing in, slide the tube over and spin hair on to form the collar and head. Shape the head and then using the tube as a guide, trim around it to form a round even collar. The tubing will act as a guide and protect the wing. This makes it easier to form a symmetrical collar.

Although I no longer fly fish, years ago when I did, I wanted to use a fly rod to try and catch pike when I was on my Canadian fly-ins. Some of the first flies I ever tied were Dahlberg Divers. I was looking for something that big pike would want. I was happy with the results on the bench, but even with an 11 weight rod, they were hard for me to throw. I think I was putting way too much material into the tail section. They picked up so much water, it was hard to get them into the air. Even dry, mine were so wind resistant it was like trying to throw a kite. I think that was the beginning of the end of my fly fishing.

Scott,

many of today's synthetic materials won't hold onto the water like some of the older materials would but you definitely need a heavy leader with a heavy stiff butt section to make casting easier. I once was at a small gathering that Larry Dahlberg was at and he was telling me and a couple of fellows how he came to create the fly and some anecdotes surrounding the Diver, quite the story teller and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy with whom you would like to spend a day fishing. The man loves his Muskies on a fly, and couldn't care less about fishing for small trout.

Guest Josh Glovinsky

So you can really get addicted to this fly tying. My attempt at a Diving Frog. I tried to do the belly in orange and the top in green. some of the orange bled into the top. Also, I hope the rubber legs do what I think they are going to do in the water.

IMG_1462.JPG

Looks like you're really getting into deer hair. I'd do it more if it weren't so messy on my clothes.

The white diver looks like it would be good when the white bass are heading back into Lake Shelbyville in the spring, in the river just north of the lake. The one time I've been there they seemed to like anything white.

Looks like you're really getting into deer hair. I'd do it more if it weren't so messy on my clothes.

The white diver looks like it would be good when the white bass are heading back into Lake Shelbyville in the spring, in the river just north of the lake. The one time I've been there they seemed to like anything white.

does anyone have info on this run? I've never fished a whitey run.