No Pontoons!

Ryan Kral

Hey again guys, so, they do not make a factory casting platform for the 8' model that I have, that was my only hope at the "factory installed hard floor" rule. I talked with my buddy again at the DuPage Count. FP, and he said that was the only reason they were even going to consider allowing it on the lakes. Really the only reason I got the pontoon was to use it on the county lakes when I have a spare couple hrs and dont feel like wading. I am considering just selling it, unless anyone would consider a trade for a canoe or kayak. Its an unused Creek Company ODC Sport LT. Let me know if you are interested or if you have any ideas. I've looked around, and DPC is the only county with this rule in their FP's. Oh well, a rule's a rule, I should have done my homework. Thanks, Ryan

Ryan,

Sorry to hear that they are not going to budge on pontoons though I am not surprised. We lived in Dupage for 20 years and that rule was constant. While living there we read a good number of reports of drownings and rescues in the papers. Your county is playing it safe. Too bad it is too hard to distinguish the glorified air matresses that some people would use from well designed craft used by others. BTW Gander Mtn has a sale on yaks including a $300 9 footer.

Hey again guys, so, they do not make a factory casting platform for the 8' model that I have, that was my only hope at the "factory installed hard floor" rule. I talked with my buddy again at the DuPage Count. FP, and he said that was the only reason they were even going to consider allowing it on the lakes. Really the only reason I got the pontoon was to use it on the county lakes when I have a spare couple hrs and dont feel like wading. I am considering just selling it, unless anyone would consider a trade for a canoe or kayak. Its an unused Creek Company ODC Sport LT. Let me know if you are interested or if you have any ideas. I've looked around, and DPC is the only county with this rule in their FP's. Oh well, a rule's a rule, I should have done my homework. Thanks, Ryan

Cook Cty bans them too.I floatubed the FP lakes in the Palos Park area many years ago for about 10 years with great success until it was banned following the introduction of money making rental boats at Saganashkee & Tamp Pier Sloughs.I got up a petition against the ban & presented it to than president of the forest preserves, George Dunne,to no avail.The ban was a money not a safety issue there having been only one floatube related drowning in all the years they'd been allowed.