New Sling Pack

tgoodmanii

I ordered the new Simms Headwater Sling Pack and it arrived a few days ago. After looking at Fishpond, Patagonia, Orvis, and Simms slings for a few weeks I finally made the decision to get the Simms. Wanting to be more of a minimalist (read quit taking too much "stuff" with me), I settled on the smaller size of the two. It looks well made with plenty of room for the "stuff" I really need to take. I'll post a review later this year on how it has functioned and held up to some hard use.

I was going to order from Chi Fly but I wasn't too thrilled on paying tax and shipping. Instead I ordered from an outfitter out west with free shipping (3 days) and no tax. No I'm not sharing the name of the outfitter. Do your own research or pay the gas or tax and shipping.

post-1839-0-34347200-1396118864_thumb.jpg

http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/vests-packs/headwaters-sling-pack-1.html

Man, I've tried smaller packs/slings and I just can't do it! Just today I was using flies from my streamer box, dry/nymph box and bugger box. I tried going smaller, only to be annoyed I was lacking something or ultimately just trying to cram stuff into it. Ended up going bigger, with the guide sling. I wish I could pull of the more minimalist approach, I just don't see why when I can have everything I need/want with me! I hear ya, I would love to support a local shop, but unfortunatly I usually find myself ordering from the same few places that run free shipping special all the time. That looks like a nice pack for sure, cant go wrong with Simms. Ryan

You could always have called the guys at ChiFly and see what they could do for you shipping wise. I'm not making any claim here that they would have budged, but it's worth a shot if you really care about your local shop. They want your business and want a long term customer.

I have on order a Richardson Chest Fly Box. I ordered it last September. I hope to have it by this September! These boxes are hand made, one by one, by one guy, in his shed out behind his house.... Good things come to those who wait! I am really looking forward to getting it!

-Forrest

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I'm two hours from ChiFly with good traffic. I don't work or fish in or near Chicago.

When I think local, I'm thinking the town or county I live and/or work in. Or on a fishing trip the fly shop in that area. The outfitter I purchased from was not a big box store. Though I do shop at some.

What does "local" mean?

Remember that every day, you get to choose what kind of impact you have on your place. Make it good. When you spend, choose local first!

When we say "local," we mean a business that meets the following three criteria:

1. Locally Owned

The majority of the ownership of the businessthe people who have the biggest stake in its successlives right in the area. They tend to be proactively involved in our community, and keep more of the profits circulating in our local economy. With a few exceptions, publicly traded companieseven those that are headquartered hereare not locally owned.

2. Independently Operated

The local owners have full autonomy to make decisions about their business, including sourcing, operations, distribution, marketing, and technology. They are empowered to adopt innovations that align with their personal, community, and environmental values. A locally owned franchise is not fully independent.

3. As Close to Home as Possible

Local is relative. Often, you can find the product or service in your neighborhood or city. But if youre looking for something very specific, the nearest might be in another town or county and thats as local as possible! A good start is to ask, Is there a quality alternative closer to home?

So in some sense ChiFly could be considered local to me especially with no fly shops close to home.

What it comes down to me is overall value and cost of a product with good costumer service. Im going to look local first. But I'm not going to pay $20 in shipping and taxes so I can say I support a "local" fly shop. Nor do I feel I should have to contact a shop and bargin with them in order for them to remain competitive in the marketplace.

For those who live within reasonable driving distance they should shop at ChiFly or one of the other locally owned independent shops in the area.

That being said I do want to vist ChiFly and I'll probably purchase something when I do. But until then my fly fishing purchases will be online finding the best deals. Those companies are ran by real people in real communities too.

That was my point. I always look local first before making a purchase. After two or three weeks of research I made a decision to buy elsewhere. Glad they are ISA supporters.

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I'm two hours from ChiFly with good traffic. I don't work or fish in or near Chicago.

When I think local, I'm thinking the town or county I live and/or work in. Or on a fishing trip the fly shop in that area. The outfitter I purchased from was not a big box store. Though I do shop at some.

What does "local" mean?

Remember that every day, you get to choose what kind of impact you have on your place. Make it good. When you spend, choose local first!

When we say "local," we mean a business that meets the following three criteria:

1. Locally Owned

The majority of the ownership of the businessthe people who have the biggest stake in its successlives right in the area. They tend to be proactively involved in our community, and keep more of the profits circulating in our local economy. With a few exceptions, publicly traded companieseven those that are headquartered hereare not locally owned.

2. Independently Operated

The local owners have full autonomy to make decisions about their business, including sourcing, operations, distribution, marketing, and technology. They are empowered to adopt innovations that align with their personal, community, and environmental values. A locally owned franchise is not fully independent.

3. As Close to Home as Possible

Local is relative. Often, you can find the product or service in your neighborhood or city. But if youre looking for something very specific, the nearest might be in another town or county and thats as local as possible! A good start is to ask, Is there a quality alternative closer to home?

So in some sense ChiFly could be considered local to me especially with no fly shops close to home.

What it comes down to me is overall value and cost of a product with good costumer service. Im going to look local first. But I'm not going to pay $20 in shipping and taxes so I can say I support a "local" fly shop. Nor do I feel I should have to contact a shop and bargin with them in order for them to remain competitive in the marketplace.

For those who live within reasonable driving distance they should shop at ChiFly or one of the other locally owned independent shops in the area.

That being said I do want to vist ChiFly and I'll probably purchase something when I do. But until then my fly fishing purchases will be online finding the best deals. Those companies are ran by real people in real communities too.

I understand. But it does seem you want local and yet impersonal. This is somewhat an ironic twist. Doing business in person or direct over the phone is part of the "small" movement. I'm not advocating one way or the other, I just find it curious and was offering a suggestion. I cannot attest to ChiFly's shipping policies and was not suggesting you act coy or sly or on the down low trying to cut deals. Just be up front and ask. Sometimes you find out things you didn't know. Sometimes discretion over policies is exercised in your favor. Again, just an idea. No clue about ChiFly and not trying to make them suffer a wave of non-committal phone orders from this thread. Just thinking, if you like the idea of an economy of small companies, being able to call the owner(s) direct should be a big plus that is encouraged, exercised and relished.

• 2 months later...

Yea but can your sling carry a sandwich, chips, drink, cookies, some licorice, a camera, extra reel spool, rain jacket, bug dope, sun screen and more flies than you will use in a lifetime......... Yea, I didn't think so.

I'm considering pulling a small raft behind me to carry all my stuff.