Sage Bass rods

Jimmy M.

I'm all ears for comments from Jon and Craig. These rods have gotten a lot of discussion here in the past. At less than 8 ft. these rods depart from traditional long rods. The matching lines translated to AFTMA by weight are Bluegill-9, Smallmouth-10, Largemouth-11. Others may differ on this, but I compliment Sage for avoiding the numbers game we often fall into.

I bought the Ross Flystick and love it, it's the same idea 7' 11" bass rod. I like the shorter length and the way it casts. I imagine because it's Sage, it will be very nice. TFO has something along those lines too, I think it's called Mini Mag?, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Just listing some other for you to compare, ya never know.

I've used the last model bass rod from sage. They are good rods, but I ended up going with the Ross Flystik which is Ross's "bass" rod. I thought it cast as well as my friends sage rod, a lot cheaper, and the lifetime warranty. I can't speak for the latest model sage rod though. Also, although I do use my Ross rod, I would opt for a 9' rod any day. I can cast the 7'11" just fine, and it does its job, but in my opinion that extra foot helps. And I've never been in a situation where I needed a shorter rod, not on my kayak or wading. They are popular with the drift boat guides, but my guide on WI told me they get a deal on them through the fly shop they are out of, and they are a little easier to manage in the tight quarters of a drift boat. They also used the Redington Predators in the shorter and full length models.

I have a minimag and used to own a sage smallmouth. My thoughts are this, they are a specialty rod, they have there place. I find it useful to keep one rigged in the yak with a popper for short quick accurate bank shooting. They can also be used for small creeks. Do not try and wade and cast on larger flows with these rods, you'll end up tearing your hair out, the rods short legnth will drop your back cast on the water if you are wading past your waste.

Sorry Jim, didn't read your reply before I posted. I agree, the Ross is a good rod. Line management and the ability to haul is more important than the length for the most part if your casting a lot of line, and realistically bass fishing usually doesn't require bomber casts. The Ross casts just fine, I just like the way a longer rod loads I guess. That's just me, didn't want to scare you away from the shorter rod jimmy.

I have lawn cast the Sage Smallmouth rod and seemed to cast pretty well. I own the Ross Fly Styk in an eight weight, and it casts well with larger flies and requires a minimum of back casts with the RIO Clouser line that I use with it. I like using the Fly Styk from a boat but not so much when I am wading. The Flystyk is great for repeated casts of the same length, which is what you do when you pound the banks from a drift boat.

I think that guides using drift boats like using shorter rods because they are easier to handle and less likely to get broken by clumsy clients than standard nine foot rods.

The whole idea of having a 7'-11" Bass rod was tournament legal.

True but most people buying one have no tournament intentions.

Re Jonn's comment about having to make fewer false casts repeated false casts should be done only when dry fly fishing in order to keep the fly afloat.Otherwise they're a waste of time & energy.An efficient cast should not include more than one & ideally zero false casts.

The rod does work well in smaller streams. In addition, the Sage Bass rod will throw literally any fly........... I have thrown muskie flies with it.

Nate at Tight Lines had his musky fly setup on the Sage Bass. He said you can throw a chicken with it.

I have lawn cast the Sage Smallmouth rod and seemed to cast pretty well. I own the Ross Fly Styk in an eight weight, and it casts well with larger flies and requires a minimum of back casts with the RIO Clouser line that I use with it. I like using the Fly Styk from a boat but not so much when I am wading. The Flystyk is great for repeated casts of the same length, which is what you do when you pound the banks from a drift boat.

I think that guides using drift boats like using shorter rods because they are easier to handle and less likely to get broken by clumsy clients than standard nine foot rods.

If i were a guide I'd feel safer when clients used long rods.Easier for them to keep the line elevated above(my)head.If they were real duffers I'd talk up the benefits of a speyrod for the same reason.