Oops,Never Mind

ronk

On an outting early in the week I started having trouble casting. After a cursory glance at the rod shaft indicated nothing wrong I figured the 20 yr old rod with the equivalent of about 30yrs worth of average use had finally worn down.So I ordered a new 6wt.When I went out Friday sure enuf the rod wasn't casting well. This time looking at it more closely I saw that the line was wrapped around the rod between the 1st guide & the tiptop.Duh :blink:.Once that was corrected the rod once again casted like it was 1999. When it arrives I'll be returning the new rod unopened to the flyshop with an "oops, never mind."

One rod used over twenty years? Do yourself a favor. When the new stick gets there, string it up with your favorite line and give it a flick. Your arm will likely not allow you to send it back. Technology over the last 20 years has given us rods that far out-perform old rods, and they are much easier on our bodies. And it just might help you catch more fish.

One rod used over twenty years? Do yourself a favor. When the new stick gets there, string it up with your favorite line and give it a flick. Your arm will likely not allow you to send it back. Technology over the last 20 years has given us rods that far out-perform old rods, and they are much easier on our bodies. And it just might help you catch more fish.

My old Powell custom wrapped 6wt medium fast rod allows me to EASILY cast 60' + occasionally over 70 if needed for hours at a time w/o any fatigue.And Tom L had no trouble making long casts yesterday with my 15 yr old Powell fast action 4wt with his rabbit strip Foxy Crawdad fly.I also found that my 10yr old Powell 8wt performed comparably to a new Scott rod provided by my steelhead guide.I'm sure I would love the Sage VXP I ordered. But stlll performing as they do I can't see relegating my old rods to the closet.And that $500 will buy me a lot of lobster dinners.

Btw I drive a '94 Lumina Eurosport which still runs & looks good.I enjoy being in it better than today's hi beltline low roofline sedans with their small windows & claustrophobic interiors.I'll likely be bringing that 4 along with my 25yr old 7'9" Powell 4 light trout rod & my 24yr old 6'6" Orvis 2wt to the c&c as alternatives to the more typical 6-8wts that'll be there.