Question about waders

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

I bought a pair of Simms waders from a fly shop last April. I recently shipped them off to Simms to get repaired under their one year warranty policy. Much to my dismay I was told that my waders weren't covered under the warranty due tot he fact that they were a pair from 2009. Luckily for me I saved my receipt. I'll send my receipt to Simms and be reimbursed the $95 plus shipping that they were originally going to charge me for said repairs.

The question is...do you think it's good practice for a fly shop to sell a pair of 2009 waders in April of 2011 without telling me that they were an older pair? Yes, the waders were 'new' but perhaps they suffered some deterioration from time.

I'd really appreciate feedback on this before I take further action.

I'm sure countless waders get built in December 2009, and after they get sent thru a few different distributors might well end up at your store in Spring of 2010. They sit on the shelf for a year or less, and then get purchased, that's seems reasonable to me. Also, if they won't hold up for a year in a box sheltered from UV and the elements, how the heck are they designed well enough to hold up to normal usage?

Don

Mere time shouldn't cause any deterioration.Since you didn't register the purchase Simms understandably assumed the 2009 waders were an older purchase.The receipt will clear that up in your favor.

I recently sent in my 2 yr old heavily used pair for some minor leak repair for which Simms charged only $31.I've found them to be much less leak prone than previous ones I've had from Hodgman,LL Bean,Cabelas ,Dan Bailey.

easily, the store may not have noticed they were left over from the previous year if the box was the same and the waders were the same. simms did make it good with the receipt. it is common to ask for a receipt everywhere but walmart. timothy

Guest Don R

Thanks for all the input. I spoke with a Simm's customer service rep today. They said that since the waders design had not changed from 2009 to 2011 he felt that the fly shop did nothing wrong. He also told me that the waders, because they were made with Gore-Tex material, would suffer absolutely no deterioration whether in the box or hanging up in that 2+ year time frame.

• 1 month later...
Guest Don R

Follow up...Simms paid for the entire repair including the shipping back to me! Unfortunately after two short wades there are several pin-hole leaks in the lower legs of the waders. Aqua Seal will take care of those leaks. My next wader purchase will be either Cabela's brand or from L.L. Bean. I've heard that both stores have excellent return policies!

Don,I'm glad you got some sort of satisfaction,not the best but something.I have returned waders to Dicks and Cabelas with

receipt in hand and received new ones with no problem,one pair was over a year old.On the other hand when my Simms boots

fell apart all they gave me was 40 percent off a new pair.That may sound like a fair offer but that was off their retail price.In effect

the replacement pair cost me $100.Last year I picked up a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus Premium waders for $110 with a discount

coupon,I love them.With the front storage pockets I have found I am wearing my vest less and less.