Terry Had It First

Mike G

A while back Terry Dodge introduced me to flashy stuff a.k.a. Gilt Eyelash. I have used it on a number of flies. Recently I saw this in Jay Fullum's new book. Eyelashfly2.jpg

He's using gilt eyelash. I guess it is catching on. I do like Fullum's idea of trimming the strands to size if they come out too bushy. But no matter what, Terry had it first

it is usefull material i have seen it in silver ,gold and red. thepicture doesnt do justice as it is very shiny. rich

lots of colors out there. Add black/gold, solid black, blue, green, red, and copper to your list.

Gilt Eyelash

But wait there's more named after our favorite Ex-Con.

Martha

Hey! That ain't right!

I was trimming some of mine also. I prefer not to trim them. It could be co-inky-dink but I found that I had more action

with the untrimmed flies.

It is kind of strange how we never saw this stuff until about a year after I was using it. I believe Brad Miller has one on his FlyBass.com site also. Thanks for looking out for me Mike G. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rich mc

saw some at michaels by 88 tollway and orchard martha has about 5 good colors this store actually carrys patons chenille in 5 colors too. for your photos i have heard that the fly needs to be on a green backdrop and should be back lighted to avoid shadows.

terry, will you be tying with that stuff at the fly show? rich

Hey! That ain't right!

I was trimming some of mine also. I prefer not to trim them. It could be co-inky-dink but I found that I had more action

with the untrimmed flies.

It is kind of strange how we never saw this stuff until about a year after I was using it. I believe Brad Miller has one on his FlyBass.com site also. Thanks for looking out for me Mike G. :)

So now you tell me about not trimming. ;)

It is a great material. I would really like to try the red. It seems perfect for the Red and White. The gold and silver look good too. I have the Night Fire and Chocolate from Terry. Is anyone interested in a swap? I'll buy the red. You buy another color and we swap yard for yard. That way no one has to get stuck with a full 110 yard skein.

Next there is taking pictures; background is important. I use the Same Fun Foam sheets that I use for flies. Just lay them on top or clip the foam to an easel behind the vise. I usually shoot with natural light instead of flash. Nobody compiains.

DSCF0055.jpg

GerbubbleBlockhead.jpg]