Fishing lures should not be multiplied without necessity.

Mike G

It come from Alabama. AKA the Alabama rig.

alarig.jpg

Here's a nice test for Ockham's razor. The AL rig fishes 3-5 lures on a spreader. It is meant for casting. What say ye?

I'm not sure it would be legal in all states with that many hooks being fished at once. Also I can't imagine all the weeds you would be bringing back with that contraption. Heck, I get hung up enough with only one hook at the end of my line, that really suggests "Snag city"

I vote for the Razor!

I'm not sure it would be legal in all states with that many hooks being fished at once. Also I can't imagine all the weeds you would be bringing back with that contraption. Heck, I get hung up enough with only one hook at the end of my line, that really suggests "Snag city"

I vote for the Razor!

Between the rig and five swimbaits on the clips, you probably would have close to $50 invested. Anglers are advised to use heavy braid like 80#. With that, if you snag, you can straighten the hook or lift the snag. It is not a light tackle rig.

Legality is an issue. It would not be legal at sites like Shabona that have two pole-two hook regulations. I am not sure how the Michigan Nine-point rule would apply.

I think this rig is designed for grabbing the attention of open water schooling fish like stripers, white bass or crappie. I wouldn't try to make pin point casts or fish it tight to structure.

Nonsense, I saw those expert fishermen on TV throwing this thing right into huge brush piles and then pulling out two whopper bass at a time with it. And for only $19.99 I could get a second one free if I just pay the nominal shipping and handling charges. :lol:

If I had gear that could cast it, you'd bet it would be a double, triple smallie at a time magnet. I often catch doubles on trebled topwaters. Very often other fish are seen trying to steal baits, these would provide easy targets.

Competition instinct is deadly in fishing. One of the main reasons "walk the dog" works so well.

If I had gear that could cast it, you'd bet it would be a double, triple smallie at a time magnet. I often catch doubles on trebled topwaters. Very often other fish are seen trying to steal baits, these would provide easy targets.

Competition instinct is deadly in fishing. One of the main reasons "walk the dog" works so well.

The umbrella with 5 baits to heave is a lot. I wonder if a smaller version with 2 or 3 smaller baits would be the ticket for lighter tackle.

No sooner said...

I found this unfinished version on Barlow's site for $5. A creative person could start here. Lte's see. Shave some lead off the head, remove a few spreader wires, use flies or lighter soft baits on the spreaders...

460600.jpg

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Casting-Umbrella-Rig-Lure-Head-Unpainted-P2538C242.aspx

Of course, if you are good with pliers, you could get a coil of .041 stainless wire from Barlows and go from there.

Guest rich mc

i have seen some poor man downrigger spoons at bass pro. heavy weighted they are designed for attaching some type of trailer. high detail painting on them, they were a 3 pack for about $9. rich

• 1 month later...

http://namgnewsletter.com/FC/_eNews2012/email/images/FC_feature_021512large.jpg

FC_feature_021512large.jpg

It says 19.7 pounds on on cast.