Baitcasters- Do Bearings Matter?

Mark K

I have two baitcasters infront of me. One is an Abu Garcia Black Max the other a Silver Max. The former, 5 bearings, the latter 6. The latter has a "flippin switch". I paid the same for both. $60 bucks. Both are lefties, both are 2012s.

One is going back, the other is a B-Day gift for my son, Max. I swear, the 5 bearing one feels tighter, less play in the handle. I am leaning towards taking back the 6 bearing one. The "Black Max" looks cooler, I think.

So exactly what do more bearings effect- castability, durability etc? Or is it all marketing B.S.?

Lastly a comment. This is one hell of a nice reel for 60 bucks.

In that particular price range bearing count means next to nothing. Keep the smoother, more solid feeling reel. Even in higher price ranges, the bearing count is secondary to bearing quality. The only bearings that really matter are the spool bearings which directly affect casting. Bearings under handle knobs and in other areas might make for a smoother retrieve and a more refined feel with slightly enhanced durability as they typically replace plastic bushings, but they aren't necessary. As you suggested, bearing count is largely a marketing ploy.

started baitcasting with the black max because it was what i could afford..no casting distance except when using 1/2 ounce baits or heavier..more bearings will give you distance and smoother casts..i switched to the quantum code, it has 8 bearings and in my price range ($70.00) and have been very pleased, casts lighter lures and is easier to set up the magnetic brakes..most baitcaster fisherman will tell you that the cheaper reels will make you give up being a baitcaster user..for under 100.00 it is a good reel in my opinion..and yes, i believe bearings make a difference.

i believe bearings make a difference.

Yes, but ONLY the SPOOL bearings make a difference as far as castability is concerned. And there are never more than two of these. None of the others affect castability in the least... light lures, heavy lures, doesn't matter.

• 4 weeks later...

bearings don't matter! what they are made of does tho. pm me and ill send u a bassmaster article... the black max is the better reel IMHO. I have been doing a lot of research on this because I have a dream to revolutionize the industry one step at a time.