Kankakee?

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, I have never fished the Kankakee before, and looking for some advice. I would like to float it with the kayak, and I would be flyfishing along the way. Anybody have any advice on a nice stretch to float for a day trip, as far as put ins and take outs. Some fish would be nice, but more importantly just a nice scenic stretch of river to float. I am NOT looking for good spots to fish, just a good stretch to float! Thanks, Ryan

The state park is pretty scenic. I've put in a couple places paddled up a mile or so fish along the way and float back to the car. In high water the back eddies make it easy to paddle up stream along the shore. In low water you can tie your boat to your waist and wade upstream or paddle where the current isn't too strong. Hit the good spots twice. Do a different section each time.Good luck.

Phil F

if you want a longer float put in at Bird Parki Quarry launch in Kankakee and float down to either the ramp on the north side downstream of Warner Bridge or to the ramp on the south side between Areas 9 and 10.

If you want a shorter trip launch at Area 2 on the south side or from the Island View parking lot on the north side. I6t's right by the Pottawattami campground. Take out would be either of the afore mentioned spots.

I've done the float Norm described. Beautiful really beautiful. In low water you'll be draggin here and there.

Also I think you can put in at Davis Creek, but it's a little bit of a portage from the lot down to the river.

I think you all right with the hunters just stay clear and leave your duck hat at home.

There is a book by Mike Svbod (sp?) called "Paddle Illinois" every place you would ever want to paddle.

I've done the float Norm described. Beautiful really beautiful. In low water you'll be draggin here and there.

Also I think you can put in at Davis Creek, but it's a little bit of a portage from the lot down to the river.

I think you all right with the hunters just stay clear and leave your duck hat at home.

There is a book by Mike Svbod (sp?) called "Paddle Illinois" every place you would ever want to paddle.

there are a few duck blinds at the Davis Creek area on the other side of the river but have never seen anyone using them..that is a good stretch of river.