What have I caught here?

Rob G

Is this a spotted bass or some hybrid? Smallmouth body shape and mouth but the lateral line demarcation of a largemouth. It did have a faint small grayish spot on his "tongue". A very agressive fish, missed my topwater fly 4 times on 4 casts before he finally connected on the 5th. Normally you might get a second strike but rarely a third strike from the same fish in these clear waters. Thanks

2011-09-04_18-14-22_691.jpg?t=1315254320

Is this a spotted bass or some hybrid? Smallmouth body shape and mouth but the lateral line demarcation of a largemouth. It did have a faint small grayish spot on his "tongue". A very agressive fish, missed my topwater fly 4 times on 4 casts before he finally connected on the 5th. Normally you might get a second strike but rarely a third strike from the same fish in these clear waters. Thanks

2011-09-04_18-14-22_691.jpg?t=1315254320

That's a spotted bass. The spot on his tongue is a confirmation.

That's a spotted bass. The spot on his tongue is a confirmation.

Yes, it's a Spot. Please don't call it a Spottie. The spotted look of the belly below the lateral line is also a good clue along with a rough prickly tongue if you remember how it felt.

Mike, though I do often give the fish a quick peck on the cheek before releasing, I don't really make a habit of feeling the tongue of a fish so I can't tell you if it was rough :D but the spot was very small and very faint and that's why I asked. I have caught Spots on different rivers than this one but their mouth and jaw extension came much closer to approximating a largemouth. Just curious.

Ok, so tonight's version of "Name this fish"

Is this 14"er an Indiana trout?

Bzzzzz, I'm sorry but that's incorrect but thanks for playing.

Is it a Spottie?

Pause, Judges??? Ding! That is correct sir, we would accept Spottie or some kind of Shad!

Tell the gentleman what he has won.

post-6-0-24241000-1316889983_thumb.jpg

Looks like a spotted bass to me...but the color is a little off, not sure if its just the picture, but it may be a smallie/spot hybrid. We catch allot of smallie/spot hybrids on some of the streams around here. The tooth patch isnt a foolproof indicator...a small percentage of largemouth bass have it too.

Mike, I have to hand it to you, you had me rubbing the "tongue" of several fish during the last two evenings. Two nights ago when I caught the Skipjack Herring (thank you Andy), I caught three more spots, not from the same hole but in the same area of the river that was slow and wide with little current. All their tongues were rough as you stated but the "spot" sure wasn't very obvious. Tonight I headed to a little 6 acre pond and caught more than a dozen largemouth at dusk and well after dark on a black popper and found that you were correct in that their tongues were smooth. Amazing what one can learn on the intra web.

Mike, I have to hand it to you, you had me rubbing the "tongue" of several fish during the last two evenings. Two nights ago when I caught the Skipjack Herring (thank you Andy), I caught three more spots, not from the same hole but in the same area of the river that was slow and wide with little current. All their tongues were rough as you stated but the "spot" sure wasn't very obvious. Tonight I headed to a little 6 acre pond and caught more than a dozen largemouth at dusk and well after dark on a black popper and found that you were correct in that their tongues were smooth. Amazing what one can learn on the intra web.

Rob

Here's one fellow that is disapointed with what he learned on the net.

61-ihD%2BzecL._AA300_.gif

Big Mouth Billy is actually a Spot. The markings below the lateral line and the lack of separation betweem the dorsal fins are the giveaway. He does not have a rough tongue, but he can sing Take Me to the River. A Largemouth would want to go to a lake.

LMB also have spots.

Below is an article I wrote a while back that will help. After you've been around KY Spotted bass you'll know them in a quick glance. Really not hard to identify there are some key characteristics to look for here:

Spot or Not how to identify the Spotted bass