Kishwaukee River Float Clean Up. 7/24/11

Kishwaukee River Clean Up: Sunday, July 24th @4:00pm.

We'll meet at Bowman Park in Cherry Valley and float down to Kishwaukee River Forest Preserve.

I have my 'toon and also a large canoe if needed. There are many island/sandbars that the tubers use that will need to be policed.

Please reply if interested.

I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. I'll pick up some heavy duty garbage bags. Maybe we'd get more participants if you promise to perform your Riverdance. On the other hand, maybe we'd get more participants if you promise not to perform your Riverdance.

Here's an incentive: free ISA hat to whoever collects the widest variety of aluminum cans. That includes beer, pop, energy drinks, etc.

Anybody that may shows up for this be sure to have your pfd and other stuff that the DNR officers may want to see. We may run across them during this clean up.

The more participants we have the more time Jude can spend trying to catch something. It would be nice to get a 100 people in on this as I have not seen a smallmouth

report from Jude yet this year, besides the float trip he hosted earlier this year . Help a member out. Jude needs as much time as he can get.

I don't report much 'cause I don't want to make people jealous. You would probably give up fishing and take up golf if I filed reports for half of my trips. Plus, I don't want to be deluged with requests for advice from Norm, Gordo, Eric, Jonn, etc.

The Kish is on the rise but the level should still be safe for the clean up. The level has gone up a foot since yesturday (7/22/11) from 5.59 to 6.57 at present but is starting to level off.

Light rain is expected for Sunday from the hours of 2pm to 4pm so we should pretty much have the Kish to ourselves for the clean up.

Jim J - You're in? Bringing a yak? Rattle-Trap

JimR - You and the boys going to make it with the canoe?

Jude - Still bringing bags? I can get some bags if you don't want to go to all the trouble of unloading all your clothes from your bags. Let me know.

Jay - That's me, Terry Jay Dodge. I saw all the "J" names and felt left out so I thought I'd share that little bit of information.

Everybody Else - Last chance to let me know. If you are coming please let me know if you are bringing a ride.

Just want to make sure no-body is left standing on the bank.

I'll bring bags. I can pile my clothes under a tree until we're done. When we get to the take out, we can dump the garbage in the dumpster, then rinse the stale beer out of the bags. Then I'll have my luggage back. It's all good.

Jay...PM me your phone #, or call me in the morning so we can work out the details. My cell is 815.871.8072.

This event may be cancelled due to the mass amounts of rain that moved through the area this morning.

I'm guessing with all the rain, the Kish will be at unsafe levels by 4pm today.

Keep an eye on the board for updates.

I could be wrong but we have to consider the fact that Jude is involved and normally when he gets involved..........

Well it rains and things get cancelled.

I guess we probably wouldn't have been able to do the clean-up anyways. One of the tubers drowned on the stretch to be cleaned Saturday and they still have not found the body.

They had boat teams and helicopters checking the area so I'm sure they had that section closed off.

New date:

Sunday, Aug. 14, 2011.

This would be the Sunday before Jude's ISA wade outing on Saturday, Aug. 20. So lets get 'er all cleaned up so the river gods will be nice to Jude the following weekend

We'll stick with the same game plan as before and meet at Cherry Valley's Bowman Park canoe launch and plan to set sail at 4pm.

Who's in?

NOTE:

Of course weather will have a wot to do with whether or whether not we do whis.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get this back up on the board.......

New date:

Sunday, Aug. 14, 2011.

This would be the Sunday before Jude's ISA wade outing on Saturday, Aug. 20. So lets get 'er all cleaned up so the river gods will be nice to Jude the following weekend

We'll stick with the same game plan as before and meet at Cherry Valley's Bowman Park canoe launch and plan to set sail at 4pm.

Who's in?

NOTE:

Of course weather will have a wot to do with whether or whether not we do whis.

That's a big "CAN DO", Tim.

Let's keep in mind to watch the weather. I don't see any problems in the forecast but then again I didn't

know it was going to rain all day yesterday (8/8).

How's the time (4pm) work for you? I know for a fact that somebody did a clean up last weekend, so if you would like to suggest a time that may be better for you please do so.

I'm opened to any time.

Oh and welcome back!

How's the knee?

Terry,

I will get back to you on the time, we might want to start a little earlier because I have an hour drive home afterwards and my friend will be closer to an 1-1/2 hour drive home.

How long of a stretch do you plan on cleaning up?

Knee is looking good, I have been cleared to swing a golf club, but no wading yet. The concern is unexpected movements and sudden jolts, so it will probably be next year before I am cleared for wading. Not sure if I will be able to hold out that long...I might have to fish a bit after the water willow planting on Saturday...I am going on 6 weeks since I wet a line. The wife-type is getting real tired of hearing me say "fishing" everytime we pass any sort of water.

Tim,

Actually a morning time would work better for me this week but I am open to any time at all.

The stretch being cleaned usually takes 2 to 2.5 hours just on a straight float with no stops. Most of the trash is going to be

on islands.

I take it the Doc didn't say anything about paddling?

Morning would probably work out better for us as well....I hate getting home late Sunday night. Do you want to just plan on meeting for breakfast at 7am and we will go from there? We can do a bit of fishing as we go and be off the water by 11am or so?

If anyone else is planning on making this event please chime in and let us know if the time change will work for you.

P.S. Terry, I tried to send you a PM and it says your not accepting new messages. Is your mailbox full???