Too Cold For Smallies?

Mike Clifford

Finally made it out for a couple hours today on the Kankakee and only stuck a few short smallies on a Rebel Craw.

Wish I would have taken advantage of 4 days of glorious weather.

Back to work Monday- and the easy pickins' could be all but over by next weekend.

Then we'll actually have to work for fish....LOL

Jonn

Good news: Weather was great, got to spend the better part of the day fishing with friends, saw some new water and caught about 1/2 dozen or so on the Husky Jerk.

Not as good news: Couldn't get any of the bigger bass, but my partner got a couple close to/around 14".

Yah, the weather was great. Glad to hear you had some success with the jerkbait. I caught a few on the x rap yesterday. Matter of fact, they were caught on a custom painted x rap by yours truly. I call it chartreuse shad........pretty cool color combo. Too bad I threw it into a tree after lunch. :angry:

I will just have to paint another one.

take care

Nice fish guys!

I thought I'd try to fish one more time before it gets really cold Monday after work. Thursday is going to be the beginning of winter. I haven't done much fishing...been doing a lot of bow hunting lately.

But I managed to catch a 12 inch around 4:00 pm on the DuPage River on a white twister.

Kinda wish I've done more fishing now that I've looked at the photos.

Maybe, it's never too cold to fish?

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

You tell them. I've been taking smallies her in southern Ohio streams the past week. The bite is slow but they have taking bitsy tubes, hair jigs, small suspending cranks and a float & fly.

Its been a dead sticking around deep water structures near riffle bottoms and solar warmed banks in the late afternoon.

My best last week was a 15"smallies on a mustard tube. Also been taking several big rock bass to 11".

The air is 39 degrees, Lake Erie is 46.

A sampling of the 30 smallmouths these guys caught during a three-hour November outing on Lake Erie.

From the Detroit Free Press.

ARTICLE LINK

:blink:

I fished with the kids on Saturday at Bird Park Quarry (nothing), then hit some creek mouths along the river and only witnessed a guy catch a decent Largemouth on a jig/minnow.

It was more about getting out and enjoying the day and great weather with the kids- so it was a huge success.

I fished with the kids on Saturday at Bird Park Quarry (nothing), then hit some creek mouths along the river and only witnessed a guy catch a decent Largemouth on a jig/minnow.

It was more about getting out and enjoying the day and great weather with the kids- so it was a huge success.

After the breakfast club in Batavia I tried the stretch of the fox below the dam...no luck. But the breakfast club was a success and I was glad I went.

I wish I knew you were heading out Jim. I did some Fox fishing too. Caught 18 smallies on caffeine and a couple of walleye.

Caught 4 like this on a Baby Torpedo

Yep, that's a little green helggie ;)

Don R

It does seem unusual. But smallies on caffeine will do unusual things.

I may have broken the man law regarding the posting of dink smallies. But heck, it's December 18th...let me off the hook on this one.