Fishing Magazines

mattyvac

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to reduce the clutter, waste, and expense of having all too many magazines. I just can't get through them all, so its a waste. And I am sure while I am scouring one mag for valuable nuggets, theres one that has everything I need but is hidden under yet another magazine.

So if you all could let me know what you think are the top two standouts in angling today, I would be grateful.

I'm looking for info about fishing the midwest, tips regarding gear and techniques, site specific issues and maps, and some fly fishing. Seasonal info on species and waters that offer good opportunities is important too.

Thank you all for your input.

I am not aware of any magazines that cover everything you are looking for, unless there something out there in the flyfishing world.

My favorites are as follows

FLW Outdoors

Bassmasters

Bass Times

Illinois Outdoor News does have fishing reports from Illinois lakes. A lot of their content and fishing reports you can get on line.

Prarie State Outdoors has a fair amount of info online. http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/

Time on the Water shown on xfinity/comcast, covers lakes within driving distance from Chicago, especially if you like fishing with wacky worms.

Probably not much help, but these are the media sources that I frequent.

Thanks for your suggestions Rod, Thats what I'm looking for. I want to know what our members like to read, and if they think that they might meet my needs. I didn't think I'd be so lucky to find one magazine that has everything. But I'd be happy to find it. I'm pretty much expecting I will need to get at least two magazines, maybe three. I was at Barnes and Noble and saw about 10 common fishing mags, and 5 to 10 more that were highly specialized. That would cost me about $75-$125 just to sample a copy of each. Some were $15. No thanks!

I get Eastern Fly Fishing, American Angler, Fly Rod & Reel, and Flyfisherman magazines. If I had to narrow it down to two, I'd take Eastern Fly Fishing and Fly Rod & Reel. I've always wanted to subscribe to Midwest Fly Fishing, just never got around to it.

Needless to say, I'm a totally dedicated fly fisher. Haven't touched a spin rod in 14 years. I'm not sure what magazines would cover all types of fishing methods.

Brian

I get Eastern Fly Fishing, American Angler, Fly Rod & Reel, and Flyfisherman magazines. If I had to narrow it down to two, I'd take Eastern Fly Fishing and Fly Rod & Reel. I've always wanted to subscribe to Midwest Fly Fishing, just never got around to it.

Needless to say, I'm a totally dedicated fly fisher. Haven't touched a spin rod in 14 years. I'm not sure what magazines would cover all types of fishing methods.

Brian

AS a midwestern ffer MFF was certainly the one magazine to have.With the death of its founder recently its future is in doubt.

AS a midwestern ffer MFF was certainly the one magazine to have.With the death of its founder recently its future is in doubt.

Yes, I feel the same Ron. I'm hoping that with the return of the Great Waters Show, someone can pickup the publication and carry on the legacy of Tom's great work.

Thanks for your suggestions Rod, Thats what I'm looking for. I want to know what our members like to read, and if they think that they might meet my needs. I didn't think I'd be so lucky to find one magazine that has everything. But I'd be happy to find it. I'm pretty much expecting I will need to get at least two magazines, maybe three. I was at Barnes and Noble and saw about 10 common fishing mags, and 5 to 10 more that were highly specialized. That would cost me about $75-$125 just to sample a copy of each. Some were $15. No thanks!

Read them at Barnes and Nobles, I've never had any store staff object to that practice.