Fly fishing equip

JimR

Anyone know where abouts this area (Rockford) has flytieing equipment. I looked at Gander Mountains website and saw different fly materials but know vice, or thread tool. So if anyone knows where I can find the tools I would appreciate it, this is a new endeavor I have been thinking about. Thanks and remember "Good things come to those who wade".

Cabellas and Bass Pro typically have supplies, but one of the best mail order places is J. Stockard http://www.jsflyfishing.com/ They also sponsor a fly tying forum which is very worth while. With JS Stockton you can buy a vice that you can sell if you don't like tying. With a big box store vice it may be to recoup your investment. With that said, if you buy a nice beginner's vice you may be enjoying it for some time to come.

- Charlie

Anyone know where abouts this area (Rockford) has flytieing equipment. I looked at Gander Mountains website and saw different fly materials but know vice, or thread tool. So if anyone knows where I can find the tools I would appreciate it, this is a new endeavor I have been thinking about. Thanks and remember "Good things come to those who wade".

Jim,

It sounds like you are just starting out. In the Rockford area, The Rock River Fly Casters http://rockriverflycasters.net/ have a lot going on with beginner fly tying classes and other events. Before you buy anything, hook up with them.

Plan B is to tell us what you are looking for. As the other replies indicate, there are not a lot of shops in the area. Unless you want to drive to Madison, mail order is the way to go

Hey Jim...

I have a beginner's vice that you can borrow. I'll lend you the vice plus a few of the necessary tools, and give you the materials to tie some wooly buggers and clousers. That way if you don't get into it, you're out nothing. A good friend of mine just gave me a bunch of material that he bought thinking he was going to get into tying, but he really sucked at it. No sense spending the cash until you know it's for you. You can come over some time and I'll show you how to use them if you're interested.

As far as where to buy stuff, it's really gotten bad around here. Every year, Gander Mountain carries less and less tying stuff, and now they're down to just about nothing. Just a few flies and lines, but no material. Cabela's in Hoffman Estates has a decent selection and is pretty easy to get to.

That sounds great Jude, I'll keep in touch with you to set it up. Thanks for all the help and tips guys. I've always believed that there is just something about a community of outdoorsman that sets us apart in some ways, and you guys prove it every post.

Guest rich mc

jim,order a free catalogue from feather-craft.com they explain alot about patterns and material usage in a very fun way. if i would have known you were getting into fly tying i would have let you borrow the clouser book i had at the meeting. rich

Mike, I happen to be the President of the Rock River Fly Casters. Thanks for the good word. We appreciate all the good press we can get.

Jim, check us out on facebook. You can find my contact info there. Our website leaves a bit to be desired, and is probably on its way out. Your timing is pretty good. Our beginning tying class is March 12 & 26 from 9am - 1pm at Severson Dells Environmental Center. For $25 you can attend both sessions and learn six to eight basic patterns. We supply all tools and materials so you can check it out before making too much of an investment.

Hope to hear from you.

Paul

Unless you are willing to drive to Chicago Fly Fishing outfitters in Chicago, which is an excellent fly shop, you pretty much need to order online except for the limited basic stuff that you can find at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. Taking classes is a great idea that will not only help you to learn how to tie, but you will also learn what tools that you need/want to buy.

In my opinion, your toughest initial decision is what type of vise to start with. The best thing to do is to borrow one to make sure that you really like tying. If you buy an cheap starter vise and really like tying, the chances are good that you want to quickly replace your inexpensive vise. That is what happened to me.

Chances are good that in a few short months you will start accumulating increasing amounts of feathers, hooks, and sparkly materials. Here are some links to articles about vises.

Vises1

Vise2

Jim,

You are getting a lot of good advice here, though it may be information overload. Curb the urge to buy stuff till you get more familiar with tying. You can't beat the free loaner vise and free materials from Jude. Right now your best investment would be the Rock River Fly Tyers class. You will get a chance to see various vises and other equipment. I am not sure if ISA will have a tying session in Rockford this spring. That would be another place to check out vises, equipment, and materials.