Rio Products new smallmouth line

Jim J

I've been using RIO's Clouser lines on my 6 & 8 wt. rods for several years. Last year the 6 wt. got a new one as the old line had become cracked, brittle, and didn't float well any more. Lifespan seems to be about 3 years for me. This winter the 8 wt. will get a new line and I think I'll try the new smallmouth line. Ya, 75 bucks is a lot of money, but it works out to be $25 a year for a 3 year lifespan. I haven't used a spinning or bait casting rod in about 15 years. Can those guys get by on $25 worth of line a year? I know good mono or braid ain't cheap. Just curious...

Brian

Guest rich mc

i was casting that line sunday. john l had it on a bvk rod. that smallie line isawesome. casts very well and has a marked section of the shooting head which makes reloading easier .it is made differently so it wont get soft in the summer heat too. rich

I'm not sure about the loading in close but it shoots line easily & finishes with a kick if you haul to turn over weighted flies. It won't replace the Clouser but its got a place. Mine is a 7 wt. & the 7 wt. Clouser is gentle in comparison. Definetley worth a look - may be better in a 5 or 6 wt.

Rob, I agree some of this trend towards species specific lines is marketing. This one is different enough to fill a niche but it could just as easily be called a pike, striper or musky line.

John, yea, in my opinion, of course it's just marketing in order to sell more lines. The line doesn't know which fish you're after. How can this be THE smallmouth line when we all fish for smallies using so many various techniques and so many different styled flies. I mean, is this line best for fishing for smallies on a lake, or is it best for shorter casts on smaller streams like the Middlefork, or is it best on larger rivers like the Kank when you're trying let out more line? Is it best for larger air resistant flies or heavy wet socks. No one line can be ideal for all smallmouth flies and all casting distances and so therefore it's a compromise just like any other Bass Bug Taper, Clouser line, etc. And we haven't even touched upon the fact as would this line match your rod and casting style?

Before someone just starting out feels they need to spend $75 just on their flyline, I would suggest as was offered to me by some pike gurus that they look at Scientific Anglers Headstart line that can be found for about half that amount. It's advertised and priced for the beginner to be easier to cast but it's the same exact line as their other much more expensive Mastery lines with the same shorter heavier head like their Bass Bug and Pike tapers and turns over a typical smallie fly with ease.

Sorry for the rant but I think 20 or more specialty tapers is just silly and confusing. Now pardon me while I take this anger and go vote.

That hardly qualifies as a rant, Rob. You are dead on right about the headstart lines, good tool, great value. One good thing about overpriced flylines is wait a little while & you can buy them marked way down. The Smallmouth line is for large heavy flies & long casts IMO. So is the Clouser & most of us have a few of those already. I bought one to satisfy my curiosity - I'll bring it on 11/14 to Urbana if anyone wants to try it.

Airborne

Unlike the common carp line designed to land on the water softly so as to not turn off the carp feed the asian carp line is designed to land on the water with a decisive thud so as to get 'em jumping.Rio is hoping to market it as a combination flyline & fish finder all in one.For liability purposes there will be a disclaimer prominently printed on the box stating that the line is to be used entirely at the user's risk & that only those flyfishermen capable of long distant casting should ever attempt it in order to lessen the possibility that a big 'un might jump into the boat injuring or killing its occupants.

Unfortunately it now looks that the much anticipated Rio Asian Carp Line will not come to market.Competing line mfrs Cortland & Scientific Anglers have petitioned OSHA to intervene on the grounds that Rio's disclaimer will do little to prevent injuries & deaths caused by jumping asian carp.Rio is asking all flyfishermen who feel that it is essential, nay crucial, to ad this line to their arsenal of smalmouth trout,striper,tarpon,steelhead,bonefish,et. al. specific flylines to email their concerns to OSHA.After all how can serious flyfishermen be expected to get along with only the 14 Rio lines( not counting the various sinking lines)currently for sale in Cabelas flyfishing catalog?