Reel seats...

Paul F

With my Orvis reel which is an all aluminum design and my metal St.Croix reel seats I find myself re-tightening all the time.....

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem? I certainly don't want to loctite the threads because I actually want to be able to remove my reel from the rod.

I tried adding one wrap of thin masking tape around the threads in the areas it really mattered to see if it would help but I still found my reel about to fall off after an hour of fishing.

With my Orvis reel which is an all aluminum design and my metal St.Croix reel seats I find myself re-tightening all the time.....

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem? I certainly don't want to loctite the threads because I actually want to be able to remove my reel from the rod.

I tried adding one wrap of thin masking tape around the threads in the areas it really mattered to see if it would help but I still found my reel about to fall off after an hour of fishing.

Paul,

I have two thoughts though I usually have a problem getting the rings loose.

1. Put your tape on the foot of the reel that goes into the moving ring. This may add enough bulk to wedge it tight.

2. Reconsider locktite if all else fails. Seriously, the product is designed to hold and then break free under pressure. It is assumed you will have to remove the screw sooner or later. There are actually different grades with different levels of holding power. The ones that breaks free more easily are the ones to start with. If you get some buildup, that may eventually be all you need to keep things tight without adding more. Otherwise common solvents will take it off.

You may want to try teflon tape instead of masking tape. Works wonders here at work with leaks and loose fittings. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you.

Loctite does break free under pressure. Just don't use too much.

Kevin,

I like your hardware store solution. I keep thinking:

Ace teflon tape $1.89 vs. Orvis Reel Seat Tightening Strip $9.98

Loctite 1 oz $2.49 vs. Orvis Reel Seat Liquid Compound 1 oz. $5.98

I know the powers of loc-tite... I work in the auto industry. Even blue loc-tite is a little to strong got my likings (atleast for this application)

I was thinking about teflon actually. I'll give that a shot. 

Thanks for the ideas guys!