long plastic worms for smallmouths

JeffD

It seems like whenever I read articles about plastic worms for smallmouths, they always refer to 4" - 6" worms, and never consider anything longer. Nevertheless, for the last 3 years my best river smallie bait from July-September has been a 7" green pumpkin Berkeley power worm Texas-rigged. As far as plastics go, my experience is that slender tube jigs are best from December through February. Somewhat meatier tube jigs rule from March-June, and again in October. However, in the late summer and early fall, I like the 7" worms. I've tried the smaller ones, but with less success. I'm not sure why folks seem to think the smallie worm stops at 4" or 6".

My frequent fishing partner, Phil Fiscella, can always beat my worms with his tubes. However, that's because he's Phil, and not because of his tubes. When I use myself as a control, long worms beat shorter tubes in the season I described. Today, in a very short wade, the worms worked perfectly. If I placed them tight to a logjam, I'd feel like I had a snag, until a big spotted bass started swimming off to the side. Then casting upstream and letting the worms drift in the current along deep bends, smallmouth bass would bite. Mostly I use a stop and drag retrieve, or just let them drift, but occasionally get a hit on a swimming retrieve. Wading upstream is much much more effective, letting the worms drift very naturally.

Is there anyone else throwing big worms? Of course, my father thinks of a big worm as a 12" one, but he mostly fishes for largemouths. I'm talking about 7" worms. Anyone else using them? I've used more than 100 of them(just went through my 100 pack of green pumpkin worms) in the last 2 years, and have easily caught more than 200 smallies and 100 or so spots on them in the last couple of years. I have a supply of 200 more worms, so I'm hoping the last couple of years haven't been a fluke, with no disrespect to that lure.

Why not, they obviously work. Are you using bullet weights with them, pegged or free sliding if you are. I think I'd work on a different delivery system than the standard plastic worm t-rig as I think in the heavier flow and rockier bottom I have that might be a reciepe for snags. Might be able to use the jobee jigs with the longer hook shank for instance. Maybe a worm hook on the venerable wolf river[3-way] rig.

Thanks for the thoughts Norm. You are probably fishing faster and rockier water than I typically do. I use a free sliding bullet weight with a 3/0 extra wide gap hook. Sometimes I use a snap, say when I'm in a situation where frequently changing lures is helpful. In that case, the bullet weight can't be used, and I go with a jighead that gives me essentially the same rig, but without a sliding weight. Here it is

http://www.nationaloutdoors.net/compare_deals/product/Luck-E-Strike-Perfect-Worm-Rig.html

When fishing with Phil Fiscella you must first be in very good shape and plan on covering a lot of ground and second just get used to the fact that Phil will out fish you. Maybe Norm could match him fish for fish but nobody beats him in stamina. He may be getting older now and slowing down though. If you put Phil in a spot where you have never caught a fish Phil will catch a fish in that spot.

Dang Jeff , that's prolly an exact copy of the jobee jig.

Phil can outfish and outwalk most guys I know. The conversation about spots and techniques on the ride between spots with Phil is the best.

Wow Norm! I looked up the jobee jig, and it appears to be exactly the same thing. I like that long shank, and the longer than usual straight piece below the jighead does a great job of keeping the worms from sliding down.

In regards to your original question, I say,"Nesse before you finesse." downsizing is a last resort after you strike out on real baits. 7 and 10 inch Power Worms are real baits. I have caught enough 10" bass on 10" worms to be able to say that they are not too big.

Tested them today with the jobee jig. I got 8 pickups but never landed a fish. On 5 of the pickups they just pulled the worm down and i doubt the hook was ever in thier mouth. they could have been small bass or possibly walleyes or they just never got the whole worm. i am not real sure about the last as it's been my experience that they generally hit it head first. On one of the pickups, i dropped the rod tip to give a little more line and then bent a little to give some more. The fish dropped the worm.

On another the fish grabbed the lure as soon as it hit the water and dropped it quicker than I could set the hook. On another pick up, the fish grabbed it and swam toward me. As I caught up with the fish and was just about to make an effective[hopefully] hookset, the fish dropped the lure.

I went to a point pool, with much slower water, but never got a pickup.

There was definite interest but they dropped it like an 18 year guy hearing the M word.

More work to be done.

I've certainly had plenty of days like that Norm. What kind of worm were you using? I like the 7" Berkeley Power worms. They make big claims about how fish hold them much longer, though I don't know if there's the least bit of truth in that. One thing that seems true is that the river smallies don't go so nuts for all those crazy colored worms that the largemouths in ponds like. I've tried purple and pink Renegade worms and various other brands that catch your eye on the shelf and work just fine in ponds, but fail in the river. These days I just stick with the Berkeley green pumpkin worm. Maybe I should get some black worms, because there's no doubt that smallies like black tubes. Best of luck.