Fly Reel suggestions?

Paul F

I have two in mind, and I can't seem to decide which I like more... I like the drag system on the Pflueger more but this Orvis reel is less expensive...

Pflueger Trion

Orvis Battenkill disc drag

I spent a month trying to find an American made reel that was somewhere near my price range and it seems like an impossibility for around a hundred bucks... The St.Croix rod I just bought is American made, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg!

If anyone has any personal experiences or suggestions I would love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks in advance

You might want to consider the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels if you want to compare a more equal reel from the Orvis line, both then machined and similar in price. But of the two that you link to, I would go for the Pflueger because it is machined and not cast mold and realize I own and love 3 of the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels.

I was also looking at the Orvis bar stock reels too.. I guess I forgot to add that onto my list of considerations...

From all the review reading I have done for both reels it seems everyone loves either reel option... I know orvis exclusively manufactures all of their reels overseas but does anyone know where they are made?

Everyone online raves about the drag system on the Pflueger, yet some people have negative things to say about the orvis... Really I just want a reel that will stand up to abuse and will last me 10+ years... And because I wish to run lighter line I need a reliable and effective drag system.

I have a couple of the Orvis cast Battenkills 7/8 for years & for the price point think they are a good deal. If you watch Orvis will run $25 off 50 certificates several times a year.

25 bucks off of a purchase of 50 or more dollars? 25 bucks off would be great!

I have the Pfleuger on my 4wt smallie rod.Other than being a little heavier than most it's a good performing, good looking reel. I would prefer it along with the Orvis Batternkill Mid Arbor to the traditional arbored Battenkill Disc for their faster line pickup.

And because I wish to run lighter line I need a reliable and effective drag system.

Paul, not that anyone wants a crummy drag system, but truth be told, our fly reels simply store line and pick it up. Unless I'm fishing for carp, my drag almost never gets used. I play the largest of smallies without it so I say pick the one you like the best, balances the rod well and fits your budget. The Battenkill Bar Stock reels are very light which I really enjoy but on the heavier rods they are almost too light. The Pflueger is much heavier unless they've shaved some weight in the last year or two. Another reel to look at in that price range is the Lamson cast reel with their conical drag system, and though I've never used it, I've heard very good things.

p051120sq01.jpg

Paul, not that anyone wants a crummy drag system, but truth be told, our fly reels simply store line and pick it up. Unless I'm fishing for carp, my drag almost never gets used. I play the largest of smallies without it so I say pick the one you like the best, balances the rod well and fits your budget. The Battenkill Bar Stock reels are very light which I really enjoy but on the heavier rods they are almost too light. The Pflueger is much heavier unless they've shaved some weight in the last year or two. Another reel to look at in that price range is the Lamson cast reel with their conical drag system, and though I've never used it, I've heard very good things.

p051120sq01.jpg

I have the Konic for my 8 wt and it works just fine. If you search around, you can sometimes find discontinued Lamson reels at great prices.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Ross Reels. You may consider their Flyrise or Flycast series.

Brian

Brian, I agree. But to further confuse, I'm not sure who makes this reel for Cabela's but I liked handling this one not too long ago and they have it on sale in the same price range.

Edit: I just read it is made by Ross in the USA, once called a Ross Rhythm: I might just have to pick one of these up for someone's upcoming anniversary, I'm sure my wife would love one :P

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20435-cat20471&id=0064350320761a&navCount=11&podId=0064350&parentId=cat20471&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20471&hasJS=true

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it turns out that the orvis mid arbor and the pflueger are the same exact reel...

Now it just comes down to what I like cosmetically.. I am also highly considering the lamson konic.. And I ran into another fly fisherman the other day who swore by TFO...

So many options, I just want a good looking and quality product

Well, it turns out that the orvis mid arbor and the pflueger are the same exact reel...

Now it just comes down to what I like cosmetically.. I am also highly considering the lamson konic.. And I ran into another fly fisherman the other day who swore by TFO...

So many options, I just want a good looking and quality product

The Orvis mid arbor is a little lighter,has greater line capacity & costs $10 more than the Pfleuger per the specs in the catalogs.Any of the above reels should do nicely.The reel is the least important piece of ff equipment especially since the advent of the open rim design allowing for applying drag with your hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and bought an Orvis Mid arbor today... Couldn't pass up the deal, It was on sale and I got a free spool with it. All said and done it was 115 shipped, which for a reel and an extra spool is a stellar deal in my opinion.

I bit the bullet and bought an Orvis Mid arbor today... Couldn't pass up the deal, It was on sale and I got a free spool with it. All said and done it was 115 shipped, which for a reel and an extra spool is a stellar deal in my opinion.

Paul, I did the same thing a few days ago, a size III in titanium. Like I really needed another reel but then again if my wife can have 50 pair of shoes then maybe........

Paul, I did the same thing a few days ago, a size III in titanium. Like I really needed another reel but then again if my wife can have 50 pair of shoes then maybe........

Rob, I bought the same thing. I really wanted the Gold but it said it was unavailable... Even though the extra spools were available in gold..?

50 pairs of shoes is excessive, Just imagine what she'd say if you had 50 rods and reels.... :o

I probably have 30 rods and reels but I'm 23, single and have no intentions of getting married anytime soon. B)

Oooh...uummm...I wish I had gotten this reel in sooner! I ordered it in DECEMBER!!! It's the new reel from Montana Fly. It's called the Yellowstone. It's available in four finishes, but I like the "River Rock" pattern the best. I doubt that "Rainbow Trout", or "Brown Trout" would be ideal on a smallie rod. Anyway, After playing with it for a day, or so, it's light. It has all the drag you would need for smallmouth. Machined (not cast) aluminum, large arbor, and looks kinda cool. Best of all, I think...$75.

Yellowstone 6wt

• 4 weeks later...