Taking alternate measures for High Waters.

Corey Jones

Well this morning the Kish was still closed due to high waters. Having friends visiting from out of town and wanting to Kayak fish we obviously had to divert our plan. It turned out to be the right choice. Between 4 of us we caught 30 Largies in about 4 hours. I'd say about 60% were legal size. Fishing was definitely off the hook today!

0730000913.jpg

Good thing you went with somebody who has a camera!tongue.gif

Where's yours? I don't see it anywhere.

Good thing I guess, looks like you needed both hands free for your pose.

From the looks of that pic, I'm just curious; did you happen to do any trolling for that camera of yours?

Glade to hear you did well.

No worries Jim J., I'm just poking a little fun at Mr. Jones. A year ago or so, we (Mr. Jones and I) were in a CPR

tournament and my fly rod out did his Power Rangers rod and reel and it has never really set well with him.

Sometimes in life you only get one chance to shine and at that time last year for Mr. Jones, well let's just say

the light was very dim.

We're going to ride this one into the ground aren't we? Let it be known that I never touched water during that Tourney! Furthermore, The main reason I can't bring myself to use a fly rod is because you have me completely convinced that they are only rated for 15 inch fish. :lol:

I hate to interrupt your private conversation but I was going to try that Olsen Lake last Sunday but I got turned away. It turns out they had some kind of triathalon going on and the access was completely cut off. We ended up going to Spenser park in Belvideer. The river was way high so we tried the deep clear pond and got skunked. Saw a few big bass and some trout jumping but we couldn't get them to hit.

LOL! Yeah me and TD have a little historic rivalry going. The only thing we can agree on is our love for Bronzebacks. As for Olsen lake I'm sorry you got detoured. It is quite the fishery for this area. The lack of land access is it's secret. If you have a non motorized watercraft there is no better public place to go for Largies in Northern IL. I haven't caught any yet but there is an abundance of 5 plusers in this lake and more 2 to 3 pounders than you can shake a stick at. I have seen 40+ inch pike in there also. 1 grabbed a 10 inch Smallie that I caught right next to my yak. Spencer park has too much pressure. Only time that I have done well out there is pre-spawn using a white spinner. Make it a point to go out there again Paul! You will not be disappointed.

I've got this canoe I fish out of. With the stabalizers you can actually stand up and fish out of it. It's perfect for a small carry-in lake like Olsen.

I haven't been out there in a while and I usually go in the spring before all the weeds grow up. I've got some slop techniques so I can make it work now. Do you guys know if you can put a canoe in 4 lakes? I know you can pretty much cast to anywhere in the lakes from shore, I just want to escape the mosquitoes.

I don't know for sure about 4 lakes but for some reason I don't think you can. As for slop techniques at Olsen, I have caught several fish working deep in the weeds but have caught the most quality fish on the weed lines with either a fluke or a swimbait. They do have Smallies out there but the biggest I have caught is only about 14 inches. They hang by the riprap near the dam and usually hit small crankbaits or rattle trap style cranks. The only down fall is that there are a lot of pike in that area and they are usually good for a quick cut off on the cranks. Obviously I'm not using a leader so that I don't compromise the action of the baits I'm using. No guts,No glory!

Let me know when you decide to go out there and maybe when can hook up. That goes for you too Dodge!

Yes you can put a canoe in Four Lakes. I had a talk with Tom Hartly at the Winnebago County F.P. last year and he said "Yes".

I didn't go to the trout thing out there this year but I was told that there were a few canoes out there that weekend.

Also Paul, this is not a private conversation I think we get a kick out of dissin' each other publicly. You or anyone else feel free to jump in any time.

It's all for fun. Corey's a good guy and knows the Kish very well.

Mr. Jones may remember this but I had thought about rigging up some kind of mounting bracket to my canoe so I could

easily connect my toons from my inflatable pontoon boat to each side of my canoe. He didn't like the idea of standing up

in a canoe so he didn't think it was a great idea. What would your thoughts be, or anyone else's?

I've retracted that thought. This is the exact reason for choosing the Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler. It's rated for 650 lbs., 36 inches wide, sits high in the water and is as stable as s pier. I have been standing in it a lot lately due to sight fishing and just to stretch out. So rig up your toons Terry! I won't poke fun and I know when I'm wrong.