Fly line to leader connections...

Brad G

Are there any problems with tying a perfection loop in the end of your fly line to attach to a pre-looped leader? I had one of the woven loop connecters on one of my lines [that's a few years old] and when putting a new leader on noticed that the casing of the fly line was cracked right behine the end of the connector, so I cut the line off at that point and just put a perfection loop in it. Didn't know whether there would be any problems with the strength of this connection or if it would cause any casting problems. It actually seems to pass through the guides pretty slick...

Are there any problems with tying a perfection loop in the end of your fly line to attach to a pre-looped leader? I had one of the woven loop connecters on one of my lines [that's a few years old] and when putting a new leader on noticed that the casing of the fly line was cracked right behine the end of the connector, so I cut the line off at that point and just put a perfection loop in it. Didn't know whether there would be any problems with the strength of this connection or if it would cause any casting problems. It actually seems to pass through the guides pretty slick...

The knot will be pretty big to go thru the guides if you are netting a fish and it takes another run. I would recommend a 12" length of 15lb-20lb Maxima mono that is connected to the fly line with a needle knot (or nail knot) and then a perfection loop is tied on the other end of this 12" piece. The best is to finish your knots off with a dab of "UV Knot Sense". This stuff makes a smooth coating for the knot which allows it to go thru guides very smoothly. You can then add and remove leaders with a loop to loop connection.

A perfection loop isn't the greatest in the end of a fly line. Lots of bulk, not as aerodynamic, and can make a splash on touch-down.

Here's what I've done for years and it is as good as a welded loop or better. A whipped loop.

This is a good video:

I don't use Hard as Nails since it dries hard and can become brittle. I use Pliobond cement.

Brian

I've always used a blood knot leader to fly line but I do like the sound of the 12" length of 15lb-20lb Maxima mono that is connected to the fly line with a needle knot (or nail knot) and then a perfection loop is tied on the other end of this 12" piece.

This method would be better for me as it takes me 3 days to tie the blood knot.smile.gif

Here's a good site to help with knots. Click the speed you would like on the upper left hand corner or go step-by-step on the bottom left. List of knots on left hand side of page.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I've always used a blood knot leader to fly line but I do like the sound of the 12" length of 15lb-20lb Maxima mono that is connected to the fly line with a needle knot (or nail knot) and then a perfection loop is tied on the other end of this 12" piece.

This method would be better for me as it takes me 3 days to tie the blood knot.smile.gif

Here's a good site to help with knots. Click the speed you would like on the upper left hand corner or go step-by-step on the bottom left. List of knots on left hand side of page.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I bought a tie-fast knot tyer for those nail knots/blood knots and it works very well and is really quick. I keep it on one of my zingers. It was well worth the few bucks and I have a lot more confidence in the knots I tie with it.

i would suggst that you nail knot your tapered leader to the end of your fly line, cut it off at about 8 to 9 inches then tie a perfection loop in the end of that. you can then tie a perfection loop in the end of the new butt end of the leader and loop them together. timothy