Is It Over?

Mike G

June 15th I got my first catalog of hunting gear from Bass Pro. It is a waste because I do not hunt. But does that mean fishing is over? That is a rhetorical question. It amazes me that the marketing seasons are so out of tune with the weather.

It's not over!!!

Try to look at the bright side. Just when the retailers go into their fall mode, it's that special time of year when we all are in our prime angling weeks and months. We fish more now than we will the rest of the year. It's a reminder we need to get out before it's too late. Plan that special end of season trip. If you're not knee deep in fishing now and through the next three months, who's to blame?

Those who hunt need to prepare. You will find us anglers in the late fall and winter walking miles through fishing and outdoor shows, sharpening hooks, or looking for new gear and outfitters for spring. Likewise, you will find me in mid summer grooming my hunting spots, hanging or reinforcing hunting stands, and polishing up my marksmanship skills in anticipation of fall.

It's the responsible thing to do, and it contributes to all our success. And Gander, BassProShops and Cabela's all count on us getting an early jump at preparation. I don't mind so much. We know the retailers are hurting. I sure would like to put more fish on the hook, and more meat on the ground. They help me do that. And shopping's one of my favorite ways to spend some time on those super foul weather days.

Don't get down. Get out and fish! Right now it's time for me to pinch down a few barbs. Hang in there.

It's not over!!!

Try to look at the bright side. Just when the retailers go into their fall mode, it's that special time of year when we all are in our prime angling weeks and months. We fish more now than we will the rest of the year. It's a reminder we need to get out before it's too late. Plan that special end of season trip. If you're not knee deep in fishing now and through the next three months, who's to blame?

Those who hunt need to prepare. You will find us anglers in the late fall and winter walking miles through fishing and outdoor shows, sharpening hooks, or looking for new gear and outfitters for spring. Likewise, you will find me in mid summer grooming my hunting spots, hanging or reinforcing hunting stands, and polishing up my marksmanship skills in anticipation of fall.

It's the responsible thing to do, and it contributes to all our success. And Gander, BassProShops and Cabela's all count on us getting an early jump at preparation. I don't mind so much. We know the retailers are hurting. I sure would like to put more fish on the hook, and more meat on the ground. They help me do that. And shopping's one of my favorite ways to spend some time on those super foul weather days.

Don't get down. Get out and fish! Right now it's time for me to pinch down a few barbs. Hang in there.

I guess I have to remember that the seasons for hunting are relatively short. A hunter can't still be puttering around with equipment when the season starts. What would Musky guys do if they only had a 10 day season like the rifle deer season in WI? What if the bass season was only as long as the pheasant season? I guess that is why I like fishing.

I'm glad you understand. I want to declare first that I am not targeting MikeG for any criticism at all. I'm an opportunist riding the coat-tails of his tongue in cheek comment about the catalogs showing up so early. As I can never resist the temptation, when the issue came up about a possible hunting vs. fishing dispute, I felt I needed to address it.

This topic is sort of a hot button for me, because I think once outdoorsmen begin to refine their outdoor skills, that's an opening for some of us to become too exclusive as to which activities we respect, and what we dismiss(like motor boaters and sail boaters). I was lucky enough to grow up in the city, and being exposed to both fishing and hunting (hunting in DeKalb). I know how uninformed average city people can be about fishing and hunting, just because in the city, hunting/fishing culture is slowly fading into oblivion. It kills me when I see it, and all too often, folks just don't get it. Those who know better must remain together.

We need to protect and respect each other, and remain united against those who would consider things such as catch and release as barbaric. Yes, it's really that crazy. For instance, Sweden actually is allowing lawyers to take pike as clients in their war against using any wild game for any sporting reason. The charge against the angler: MURDER. In the US, there is a movement backed by radical activists to have all our public hunting and fishing lands tightly defined Federally protected wilderness, which could then exclude it from hunting or fishing use. Think Sylvania, or Shawnee.

They also would love to find a way to divide us into many small groups, especially gun fans. There is an activist who has a phony website that uses half-truths and narrowly targeted polls to convince non-hunting shooters to separate from gun hunters, and sport/target shooters from folks who just want to own a gun, by de-legitimizing the others reasons for doing what they do. They attempt to divide gun owners into smaller groups, thereby shrinking their political base/power, and making incremental law making possible.

First they say it's OK for people to have guns to hunt, but we won't need guns designed for defense. Then we don't need any semi auto's because they can be used as assault weapons. Then we can't have rifles with scopes because they are sniper tools. And you can't have shotguns because they disperse lead into the world. Then all we have left is a Daisy BB gun, and we all know they can put somebody's eye out. Meanwhile, all the criminals are safer, our fridge is empty, and we will never feel the satisfaction of feeding our family through our own resourcefulness. It's off to see the hit-man behind the meat counter. He does all the work for us, turning our beloved pass-times and traditions into meaningless wastes of time.

The less people there are who live to enjoy outsmarting their favorite wild game, the less people there will be who can even understand what we mean when we describe our most treasured activities in life. So I want to take this opportunity to encourage all our members to embrace all sportsmen, to help protect our right to enjoy our outdoor traditions, our right to participate in nature as conservationists, or predators, or stewards, or managers, or teachers. As sportsmen, we are all these things and more.

As for me, I love my fly rod, but you can feel free to hang a worm and fish by my side any day. That goes for you trout snobs, too. Be open minded; no one ever learned a thing by being a know-it-all. Let's share our love for the outdoors with those folks who don't know what they're missing.

Thanks for an outstanding read Matt.

The only thing I would add at the moment is that the beef we are buying in the store likely came from a place that treats animals like a number on a stamp and pumps them full of chemicals that are sure to hasten one's demise.

Hunting, fishing and locally grown products from family farms are traditions in this country that are on the decline. A sad commentary on life and the world in general.

Don't get too down about the food in America. There is hope.

I agree...the big picture sucks for overall American food quality. The GREAT news was what I found when I went to Denmark, WI over Dad's Day weekend. There is a fabulous community of organic farmers who provide just about anything in the way of groceries: meat, produce, even wine, all organic, and at reasonable prices. Most everyone in town is involved, either as consumers, or farmers. Most everyone is happy with the results, especially those taking advantage of co-ops.

Small town America is alive and well, only in more limited quantities. WE can help by leaving some of our money with them in exchange for some wonderful food. Once I got there, I didn't want to leave. IN fact, I'm going back in three weeks for some aged Steve's Cheese, fresh Kellner's Farm eggs and a week of top-water action in Townsend. Don't be surprised if I don't come back.