Safe level for the Kankakee

Fredmo

Will the K3 be suitable to fish on Saturday. I'm thinking about the ISA outing on Saturday and wonder what level does it need to be for safe wading or reasonable floating? I've only fished it a few times and it seemed to me it's a treacherous river even when it's normal flow. Is the rain going to make this a bad weekend for an outing?

with the downpours we had this afternoon and more tonight and saturday, wading definitely out of the question, some shoreline fishing maybe at the state park or rt. 113 areas.

Norm could probably give more detail though

low enough for me is knee high.. :blink:

Well the Fire Dept was headed to the river about 830 tonight with the boat and the rescue squad and it sounded like help was coming from Manteno. We had so much water here this afternoon that the water was bubbling up out of the storm sewers and in some places the streets were better than knee deep. There were flood warnings on on some of the tributaries before the rain started. My rain gauge holds 6 inches and it was full afterwards, not saying we actually got that much, but it was empty before it rained.

The only reason to wear waders over the last month or so was to keep the mud, ticks and poison ivy off you as you busted brush walking the banks fishing shoreline related cuts.

For me personally in the past, at 3000 CFS, I could go most anywhere I wanted. Most folks, who are smarter and have more sense preferred around 1500 CFS or less. Now with all the changes the sand has wrought, at 3000 CFS, it's hairier than I'll deal with in many places. Unfortunately, I can't remember it being under 3000 CFS this year.

Unless, you like walking the bank, thru tall weeds[ I admit I'm strange that way] it won't be anywhere close to being safe for wading any time soon. Maybe if we get 2 to 3 weeks of pretty dry weather throughout the entire water shed, it might get to where it's safe enough to wade. Right now the best bet is cut bait along the shoreline pockets for catfish. You can catch some smallies, but you are going to have to cover a lot of ground, plastics and spinnerbaits are the best option.

If I had to drive any distance to get here, I wouldn't.

Check the Chebanse gauge on the Iroquois and the Momence gauge on the Kankakee as well as the Wilmington gauge. That way you can see what's coming.

If asked, I'd advise cancelling the outing, it's not going to be safe for wading or floating by this weekend.

The historical data indicates that from March thru June the Kank's flows generally run between 6000-8000cfs,roughly half the rate it's at today, dropping to about 3500cfs on average from July thru November.It's amazing how greatly "safe" cfs flows vary from river-river.While the above flow rates are ok for wading the Kank both the Fox & the Dupage even at 3500cfs would be near(Fox) or well beyond flood stage(Dupage).Safe cfs on the Dupage is only in the 100s.

Count me out. The Kank can be a bit scary even at safe levels. Think I'll hit the local spillway Saturday morning barring a better offer. Anyone care to join me?

Brian

I might be interested in the spillway, since it's out my front door, assuming the boss says it's o.k. What time you thinking of? Might be a chance for me to learn something on how to get down there and what to use.

Not sure at this point if I'll do Bloomington or Evergreen. I haven't fished the spillway at Evergreen in years, so don't know what it is like these days. I've fished L. Bloomington spillway 3 times this year & it's starting to pick up nicely, if the rains didn't put the fish off. I'd probably get up there around 9. Since the wife is out of town, maybe I'll hit both spillways! I'll just plan on hitting Bloomington around 9 & go from there. If you want, Fred, pm me your phone # & I'll give you a call if plans change. Otherwise, maybe I'll see ya up there! I'll be driving a pewter 2003 Chevy S-10.

Brian