Cast and compare outing

In my opinion, we should once again reschedule the cast and compare outing scheduled for Evergreen Lake today at 4:00. If many of you are not in favor of rescheduling, let me know here and we can go as scheduled today.

If most are in favor of a reschedule, let me know and we can discuss a date.

On an admittingly very selfish note, I would vote for a reschedule due to weather and the fact that it is difficult for many of us from any distance to make it on a Friday afternoon at 4 PM but I understand you can't please all the people all the time :)

In my opinion, we should once again reschedule the cast and compare outing scheduled for Evergreen Lake today at 4:00. If many of you are not in favor of rescheduling, let me know here and we can go as scheduled today.

If most are in favor of a reschedule, let me know and we can discuss a date.

I've go three granddaughters to pick up this evening for a weekend visit, so I'm probably not going to make it anyway. Met with a couple of farmers just before lunch, they were pondering if the rain was coming this afternoon or if they should go plant beans. (I think they were rooting for the rain)

How about resetting it for a Saturday morning? At Evergreen? Then folks could fish the lake, or the Mac, for the rest of the day, if they wanted to.

I was planning on attending today, but can do it next Saturday also. Guess it doesn't make any difference to me, but was looking forward to getting out today.

Brian

While that might be better for everyone to be able to attend, AND be able to try every rod...Saturday is the one day that most of us have for chasing smallies. Either way, let's just get something set in stone.

It is set for this Saturday at 9:00 AM. Main boat ramp, Evergreen Lake. With all this rain, I don't think smallie chasing will be a top priority.

O.K. Assuming my wife allows me to take off the time to get to Evergreen and I play around with other folks' expensive rods to convince me I should buy something I can't afford, Then What?

What will be biting on Evergreen and what kind of flies should I bring? In my earlier days I came with a spinning rod and some little plastics, never caught much worth talking about. If I bring my canoe, are there crappie or bluegills or what, at this time of year with this weather?

Fred,

Bluegills and crappie should be getting ready to spawn, so they should be in shallower water close to shore. My buddy Kevin lives on Lake Bloomington and he's been slammin the crappie lately. Some big bluegills, too.

Either fish will take something like a very small (10-14) white buggers. Same thing in black, red, and yellow. I've been having the best luck with white. They can also be used with an indicator & just twitch them every few seconds.

Brian

Fred,

Bluegills and crappie should be getting ready to spawn, so they should be in shallower water close to shore. My buddy Kevin lives on Lake Bloomington and he's been slammin the crappie lately. Some big bluegills, too.

Either fish will take something like a very small (10-14) white buggers. Same thing in black, red, and yellow. I've been having the best luck with white. They can also be used with an indicator & just twitch them every few seconds.

Brian

There's no reason to compromise the pleasure of casting by resorting to using a clumsy casting indicator for panfish.The white bugger will take crappie.For 'gills tou can't beat a rubber legged sinking spider or a small popper for the fun of a surface strike though you won't usually catch as many as with a sinking fly.

Hey Jon,

If you think of it, bring that dragon with you Saturday. I'd really like to see it!

And yes, foam spiders and the like are great fun for bluegills, but it's May in Central Illinois. Chances of being able to effectively fish spiders and such in 10-20 mph winds will be slim! Maybe we'll get lucky Saturday and the wind will subside.

Brian

Hey Jon,

If you think of it, bring that dragon with you Saturday. I'd really like to see it!

And yes, foam spiders and the like are great fun for bluegills, but it's May in Central Illinois. Chances of being able to effectively fish spiders and such in 10-20 mph winds will be slim! Maybe we'll get lucky Saturday and the wind will subside.

Brian

The way it's blown this year I'd be happy for a day when it's only at 10-20mph.Just use sinking spiders etc

I'm trying to post photos from Cast and Compare last Saturday, 6 guys showed up, looked at about 20 rods, avoided the rain, not sure if anyone stuck around to fish. Lake was crowded, must have been some tournament going on, along with the usual crowd of scouts fishing and canoeing.post-147-127428109232_thumb.jpg

BrianJ brought his rack, has a history from Michigan to Springfield to B/N. It came in handy.

post-147-127428144038_thumb.jpg

post-147-127428148462_thumb.jpg

BrianJ looking over the choices

post-147-127428155711_thumb.jpg

jonn Graham can tangle his line on grass just like the rest of us.

Of late I have been tying some bluegill flies. From what I have been told, the Rubber Legged Dragon is a real killer. I have a few already made up.

John, another good one that is similar and so very simple to tie is the Bully's Bluegill spider. It filled my freezer with gill fillets by May 1st, and I agree with Ronk, you will get more going subsurface than on top but top bugs are fun.