Central Region Bassbuggers March Meeting

bjensen

I think we're onto something here. The tying day last Sunday in Bloomington was a big hit and we're going to do it once more before spring gets into full swing!

Right now we have March 21st as a date. If there is a substantial number of people that can't make it, we can push it into April if necessary. Meeting will be held at the Bloomington Fire Station #2 again, as the room there is large, plenty of tables and chairs, and has excellent lighting. Thank you Tim!

Everybody check your calenders and chime in. If everybody is ok with the date, lets get it on the events calender sometime next week. Also voice your opinions on what patterns you would like to demonstrate, or see demonstrated. Ben's frog and Cassius Cray were huge hits last weekend! Thanks Ben!

Brian

Guest rich mc

congrats on your 2nd tying event.march 21 i am doing a float n fly outing on the kishwaukee in Dekalb. i have asked others to hook up and try to fish it on other rivers that same day. in your case maybe you can tie some float n flies?

Brian, I had already asked Mike and he was kind enough to post the 21st on the March event calendar. Hopefully that will work for most but if not, please let him know. Tim and I will definitely try to make it. Just a thought but most that attended seemed to think it would be more difficult to meet as we go later into the spring.

I've got the 21st on my calendar and plan to make it, assuming other events don't pop up making it impossible. Sorry I could only get their for the tag end last Sunday.

It's great how these things just seem to take off and everybody pitches in! I've been buried in homework all week and the calender posting is done already! You guys are good!

In that case, I'm going back to the homework.....one more class tomorrow and then I'm on spring break. Yahoo! :D

Am going to do quite a bit of tying next week!

It's great how these things just seem to take off and everybody pitches in! I've been buried in homework all week and the calender posting is done already! You guys are good!

In that case, I'm going back to the homework.....one more class tomorrow and then I'm on spring break. Yahoo! :D

Am going to do quite a bit of tying next week!

The way it's warming up, you may want to be out fishing instead of tying next week.

And that I am, Fred! Been hitting the bluegills and crappie hot & heavy the last 2 days, and will do more next week. Then heading to Wisconsin on Friday (th 12th) for a day of trout fishing on Black Earth Creek & surrounding streams.

Have you been able to take a look at the Lake Bloomington spillway? Wondering what kind of shape it's in. With warmer weather starting to trickle in, the 'gills will start to congregate at the base getting ready for the spawn.

And that I am, Fred! Been hitting the bluegills and crappie hot & heavy the last 2 days, and will do more next week. Then heading to Wisconsin on Friday (th 12th) for a day of trout fishing on Black Earth Creek & surrounding streams.

Have you been able to take a look at the Lake Bloomington spillway? Wondering what kind of shape it's in. With warmer weather starting to trickle in, the 'gills will start to congregate at the base getting ready for the spawn.

Not sure what part of the spillway you mean. I only get to see it a couple of times per day. There's ice right up to the dam, with clear water below. I imagine it will change every day now, with the 50's due on Sunday....along with rain. I'm looking forward to trying those Pan-Handler flies I've tied this winter, see if crappie or bills are interested. Where do you fish for gills and crappie these days? ( not "where" in the way of hot spots, just what greater body of water)

Fred,

I was interested in if there was any water going over the spillway. I fish below the spillway quite a bit in the spring.

As for the 'gills & crappie, lets just say it is on the north end of town on a rather busy street. Sorry I'm not more specific, but the fish are in a wintering hole roughly 20 feet in diameter. I've put the entire fish population at risk just being there during the day and people driving by and seeing me catching fish. If some smart-a** decides to go over there with a can of wax worms & a stringer, they could easily clean out the whole pool in an hour. :angry:

Fred,

I was interested in if there was any water going over the spillway. I fish below the spillway quite a bit in the spring.

As for the 'gills & crappie, lets just say it is on the north end of town on a rather busy street. Sorry I'm not more specific, but the fish are in a wintering hole roughly 20 feet in diameter. I've put the entire fish population at risk just being there during the day and people driving by and seeing me catching fish. If some smart-a** decides to go over there with a can of wax worms & a stringer, they could easily clean out the whole pool in an hour. :angry:

As of Saturday, the ice is still right up to the spillway, but water is going over and it's looks like open water below. As to that other place up north, I thought it looked like it was still iced in. I've looked at it during the past year, but never got out to try to fish it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry gentlemen but I will miss this one...I am up in Milwaukee with family and have done a little steelhead fishing for the first time( missed a few)and got to meet Pat Ehelrs (http://www.theflyfishers.com/)and pick his brain a little. He offered a mini tutorial on his Foam Tail Super Worm which is a rockin' pattern tied on a Texas rig style hook, and as is his trademark offers a fly fishing answer to conventional tackle successes. He was very personable.

Anyway, I intend on tying some and perhaps can share my trials and tribulations at the next Central state Tie-In. I have greatly enjoyed these, appreciate the efforts of Rob, Brian and Tim to make them happen and regret missing this one.

Have a great time.

I met Mr Ehlers a cupl years ago when I stopped in his fly shop on the way to do some steelheading on the Milwaukee R.Like Ben I found him to be very personable and informative something which I've usually found to be true of most flyshop owners probably because they're doing something they love and not just for the $.