A new fly that shows promise

I have been messing around at the vise quite a bit of late.....of course, I have not missed more than one day of tying since I first started about 18 months ago. Pat Ehlers has been a real big help to me. Here is my version of his new fly called the Grim Reaper. I think it will be a big winner this year.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?streamstalker

I have been messing around at the vise quite a bit of late.....of course, I have not missed more than one day of tying since I first started about 18 months ago. Pat Ehlers has been a real big help to me. Here is my version of his new fly called the Grim Reaper. I think it will be a big winner this year.

I know you like the dumbbell eyes but try a couple with med. gold tungsten cone heads also. I don't know what it is but I used to tie that style fly with dumbbell and switched to conehead and seemed to work better. I like to fish those type flies as if they were a crayfish that was knocked loose by the current or a drifting and dying baitfish. At the end of the drift when the current grabs it I'll fish it like an escaping baitfish. The nice thing about that type fly is it works almost any way you want to fish it and keeps its action. Keep it on the bottom.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?streamstalker

Its getting pretty close to a fly not being a fly anymore. Why don't you just rig that up on a spinning rod. You're not swinging, mending and/or ensuring a drag free drift. You're simply casting it out and stripping it in. You can do that with a spinning or bait casting rig as well.

Mark:

Huh??????????????? :angry:

This fly will not be casted and then merely stripped back in. If you don't consider this a "fly", then you must discount the countless other heavy flies as offerings that are to be only thrown with a spinning reel.

You sound like the type of fly fisherman I call elitists or purists.

Guest airbornemike

Its getting pretty close to a fly not being a fly anymore. Why don't you just rig that up on a spinning rod. You're not swinging, mending and/or ensuring a drag free drift. You're simply casting it out and stripping it in. You can do that with a spinning or bait casting rig as well.

Uh what John said Mark :huh: , "drag free drift" save that nonsense for trout and the orvis message board. Bass are a NOT sipping drys or plucking nymphs off the bottom they are apex predators that hunt down and kill there food. "You can do that with a spinning or bait casting rig as well?" yeah and you can use a slip bobbber and minnows and do even better, point is to each his own.

Seems to be made out of a chamois/leather type material. It is nice and thin which should give it great action in the water.

JONN,

According to th Hareline site, the material is ultrasuede. Wikipedia sez:

"Ultrasuede is a synthetic fabric invented in 1970 by Dr. Miyoshi Okamoto, a scientist working for Toray Industries. It was the world's first ultra-microfiber. Fabric content is 100% polyester. Ultrasuede feels like natural suede, but it is resistant to stains and discolouration; it can be washed in a washing machine. It is a woven fabric, but resists pulling or fraying because it is combined with a polyurethane foam in a non-woven structure. The fabric is multifunctional: it is used in fashion, interior decorating, automotive and other vehicle upholstery, and industrial applications, such as protective fabric for electronic equipment. It is also a very popular fabric in the manufacture of footbags (also known as hacky sacks)."

We have a sofa covered in a nice olive tone ultra suede. When we reupolster in about 10 years, do your want some?