Taking pictures of flies

aloomens

I am interested in starting to photograph some flies. Any help, info, suggestions, would be appreciated. I know very little about digital cameras. What do I look for in a digital camera? It should have some type of macro mode right, anything else? Are there any inexpensive (cheap even) digital cameras that would work well for photographing flies that you would reccomend?

You'll need a good camera with a "macro" feature.

I'd suggest you visit a camera shop and discuss your objects with the camera experts.

I have an Olympus, that does a good job.

Higher priced models will produce professional looking results.

I mainly use mine for quick fish pics.

I'm able to get close-up pics of objects in the palm of my hand, in the macro mode.

Pics will turn out more clearer, if the camera is held still---without the slightest of movement.

Guest rich mc

there was an article in fly tyer or somewhere about doing the fly photos. even a forum on it on flytyingforum or flyanglersonline . ill see if i can find it .

I have a basic (150$ ish) digital camera. Fugi FinepixA360. 4.1megapixel and a 3x opitcal zoom. Works just fine for upclose stuff with the macro function. Look for the highest OPTICAL (not digital) zoom you can find with at least 3 megapixels and you'll be happy.

To emphasize what Andy said: ignore digital zoom. Optical zoom is "real" zoom, digital zoom is useless gimmick (in my humble opinion).

Gregg

PS I love the editing and organizing software that came with my Kodak Easy Share. I wasn't very familiar with others, so I didn't know if others were that useful until I read in Consumer Reports that it is one of the best. They recommended using Easy Share software for org and edit even if you don't buy a Kodak camera and have to pay extra for it. When I go to buy my next camera I'll try to find a Kodak Easy Share that meets my needs before looking at others. Right now, you can get a basic camera, software, and printer dock for 4x6 photos for about 200 bucks. When I get home from fishing I have the best shots printed out within an hour!

Gregg