Cold Hands

Mark K

Mark

I've been using some fingertip-less fleece gloves with a neoprene palm and they work pretty well for me. I even used them ice fishing. I don't go out when its bitter cold, but a day like yesterday would've been no problem.

I don't remember the brand or where they were purchased, as I've had them for a number of years.

I have the same problem with the cold. My fingers really hurt. Those gloves with no finger tips are not the answer. Fishing with gloves on is pretty difficult for me. Fabric gloves are hook magnets, and pretty useless once they get wet. I've got some neoprene gloves that keep my hands dry and relatively warm, but they are hard to get on and off and it's nearly impossible to tie on a lure while wearing them. I really just quit fishing when it's cold out. The discomfort outweighs the enjoyment of fishing. I have the same problems with cold feet as well. It's just not as fun when you are uncomfortable.

Rocky Brand bow hunting gloves. They are camo colored and are slightly heavier than baseball batting gloves. I bought them at least one size too small so they would fit tight. They work great. I can tie a lure on without taking the gloves off. I bought numerous pairs a few years ago at Wal Mart. They do not seem to carry them anymore, but maybe you can find them on the Rocky site.

Mark,

As you requested, this is from the other thread.

Cold hands? I really believe this works.

First, keep in mind that the body adjusts to keep the head and trunk warm as its top priority. Extremes, fingers and toes, are sort of sacrificed to keep the heart and brain going. That makes sense. So there is a saying,"If your feet are cold, put on a hat." It means that good insulation on the head, neck, trunk of the body, legs, and arms, frees up heat for the fingers and toes. On the other hand, the best gloves and socks even heated ones won't help much if the rest of the clothing is light weight.

Well, it works for me.

Mark G is right, you need a better hat/coat ect. The other trick I have used is to wear a turtleneck shirt as an base layer (synthetic of course) and insert a handwarmer in the neck collar in the back... really works!

Neoprene gloves make my hands sweat, which makes them cold. Likewise, anything snug fitting seems to have the same effect.

I'm sure Mike G. is dead on from the biological standpoint; it makes a lot of sense. Could be why my fingerless gloves have always been enough, excepting bitter cold.

I have the same problem with the cold. My fingers really hurt. Those gloves with no finger tips are not the answer. Fishing with gloves on is pretty difficult for me. Fabric gloves are hook magnets, and pretty useless once they get wet. I've got some neoprene gloves that keep my hands dry and relatively warm, but they are hard to get on and off and it's nearly impossible to tie on a lure while wearing them. I really just quit fishing when it's cold out. The discomfort outweighs the enjoyment of fishing. I have the same problems with cold feet as well. It's just not as fun when you are uncomfortable.

Scott

Neoprene gloves with foldback thumb & index fingers allow good finger dexterity eliminating the need to remove them during an outting and as you've already experienced will keep your hands reasonably warm.The best answer for cold feet is 5mm bootfoot neoprene waders. The neoporene uppers will keep your legs/torso warm without having to layer up like that kid in " A Christmas Story" and the bootfeet together with a good pair of warm socks will do the same for your feet much better than stocking foot waders even with water temps in the 30's.Both the gloves and the waders are available from Cabelas.On the subject of socks waterproof socks are available from Sealskinz on the web in both lightweight for warm weather and fleece lined for the cold.

I had a pair of neoprene gloves. For whatever reason my hands were colder in them than if they were bare. It's like I was not wearing gloves. Probably due to the cold core issue, per M.G's description.

I had a pair of 6mm boot foot waders. Those were nice.

I used to really be into winter cycling. Those little chemical handwarmers are the bomb.

Did about 4 hours out in the cold today. Started off with cold hands in my neoprene gloves. I didn't have any glove liners these can make them feel warmer. I put a hand warmer inside each glove, first in the palms and then once my hands warmed up I moved them around to the back of my hands. I use the kenyai style glove by glacier gloves. The first place we fished was real close to the car. A little walking helps to warm you up. I always put my gloves and waders on the passenger side floor in the car with the heater blowing on them so that they are warm when I put them on.

Phil F

Did about 4 hours out in the cold today. Started off with cold hands in my neoprene gloves. I didn't have any glove liners these can make them feel warmer. I put a hand warmer inside each glove, first in the palms and then once my hands warmed up I moved them around to the back of my hands. I use the kenyai style glove by glacier gloves. The first place we fished was real close to the car. A little walking helps to warm you up. I always put my gloves and waders on the passenger side floor in the car with the heater blowing on them so that they are warm when I put them on.

Phil F

I've got a pair of those Kenais.With no foldback fingers I only use them for washing my car in the winter.I did so last week with temps in the mid 30's.Even though they were repeatedly immersed in water they kept my hands warm.Only when I was squeezing out the chamois drying the car which caused a little water to be forced thu the seams did the thumb on one of my hands get cold.