Waterfowl season

WILLIAM C.

I'm trying to figure out where to fish the rest of this month.I know the rules about staying clear of

the duck blinds but when does the season start and end in this zone?

You can probably find the zone stuff online at the dnr site.

On another note, what exactly are the rules? I believe there was some controversy late last year or earlier this year as two site specific regulations regarding fishing and waterfowling seemed to contridict each other. I know there was a lot of discussion here and other places but I don't recall seeing any closure to the issue.

I'd like to know what the deal is as I may be able to make it down once or twice in the next month and don't want to offend any hunters. I know there is a yardage distance (what is it?) to keep clear of the blinds, I believe the waterfowlers need to have a spread of decoys out but that's all I know. I know I can find some of this in the 2009 Regs but there is still the contridiction issue.

The North Zone (essentially everything north of Rt 50 in Will County, or North of I-80 the rest of the way across the state) opens this Saturday. The duck season will run through Dec. 15, and goose hunting will continue until Jan. 9.

The Central Zone (basically everything south of that until you hit I-70) opens on Oct. 31. Duck season will go until Dec. 29, with goose season continuing until Jan. 31.

If you go all the way down past I-70, the South Zone opens on Nov. 14 and goes until Jan. 12 for ducks and Jan. 31 for geese.

The state-wide regulation for fishing during waterfowl season is that you have to stay at least 250 yards away from any DNR-managed blind. I'm not sure what the rule is, if any, about fishing in areas where the DNR doesn't have designated blind sites, but I would recommend, both out of common courtesy and just for safety's sake, to keep at least the same distance between yourself and any waterfowl hunters.

-SB

The North Zone (essentially everything north of Rt 50 in Will County, or North of I-80 the rest of the way across the state) opens this Saturday. The duck season will run through Dec. 15, and goose hunting will continue until Jan. 9.

The Central Zone (basically everything south of that until you hit I-70) opens on Oct. 31. Duck season will go until Dec. 29, with goose season continuing until Jan. 31.

If you go all the way down past I-70, the South Zone opens on Nov. 14 and goes until Jan. 12 for ducks and Jan. 31 for geese.

The state-wide regulation for fishing during waterfowl season is that you have to stay at least 250 yards away from any DNR-managed blind. I'm not sure what the rule is, if any, about fishing in areas where the DNR doesn't have designated blind sites, but I would recommend, both out of common courtesy and just for safety's sake, to keep at least the same distance between yourself and any waterfowl hunters.

-SB

Seems to me that pretty well covers the State Park region.

One would need to pick and choose from a few select spots NOT in the "zone", which aren't many.

I thinks it's time to hit some of my old haunts for a change of pace regardless.

Here's a map of the waterfowl blinds at Kankakee State Park. Looks like there might be some gaps upstream of Warner Bridge Road where you could still fish during duck season. This is in the Central Zone, so everyone still has two weeks to fish wherever they want before the shooting starts.

Thanks for sharing this, Steve.

I spoke with the IDNR this evening to get some clarity on the issue that was in dispute last year.

The 2010 guide has not yet been published, but we should see something definitive as the KRSP is concerned.

I made it a point to say that it was not correct the last time around, and it was documented in order to make it more clear for the next issue.

Last year I had an issue with a hunter who had no decoys out in front of the blind and got upset because I started fishing. I asked a CPO and they told me that a legally occupied blind is to have a minimum of 10 decoys out.

Now if I see even one decoy out I'm staying away as I have no desire to infringe upon another sportsman or get shot accidentally. I proposed to the DNR that some sort of metal flag be used to the rear to denote occupancy so that you could see it from a distance. It was supposed to have passed up the line but I don't think it was acted upon.

You should note that the blind on Willow Island sits right at the end of the island rather than up the main channel side as in past years.