Fluke Users

Steve S.

Just curious how everyone is rigging them for river fishing. I've never been a fan of using weighted hooks with them as I feel they negate the "hang time" which to me is the attractiveness of the lure. However, fishing them in current without a weight may sometimes be futile.

I've always been a big fan of the "Sluggo" type lures (I primarily use Sluggos) but I have a hard time fishing them effectively in heavier current.

Thanks B)

Steve,

I use an "insert" weight.

They're packaged by Lunker City, the company who produces Sluggos.

A diagram is provided on the package back side, for your viewing.

The insert weight can be used in a variety of plactics---from small to large sizes.

They can be easily cut down, using line clippers, for very little added weight, to using multiple inserts for larger plastics and more weight, adn fishing deeper.

Positioning of the insert weight, should be in such a way, so as to maintain the lure in the horizontal position, whether fished shallow or deep, slow of fast.

One should take into account, the line size and weight, which will have an effect on the lures orientation and balance.

Place the weight in the sluggo, so its slightly front heavy.

This will compensate for the lines resistance in the water.

You will have to try it a few times, by trial and error, to get the optimum balance.

Insert weights can be found in some tackle stores.

Hope this helps.

It's erratic motion I think is what drives smallies crazy.

Occasionally I'll use a variation on the Carolina rig.

Leader anywhere from 6"-10" depending on depth, current etc.

I've got some cylindrical style weights with a twist-off on one end to add or subtract bb-like weights to them. Made by Magnum Weight Systems.

Various sizes of these make it pretty adaptable to any situation.

Makes a real nice "clacking" sound when twitched, that draws them in as well.

Thrown along a current seam can be deadly with this approach- with a little practice, of course.

MWS.JPG

Comes in 3 different sizes:

weights.gif

This does not make it sink really fast. It helps keep it from being just a topwater lure that gets swept too fast out of where you want to keep it.

Most fluke stuff refers to lake fishing. With current you have a different set of conditions to deal with. With line being pushed in the current and the fluke sitting on top, being washed too quickly out of the strike zone.

Think about all the articles and pictures you've seen about how this bait works in still water. The drop rates, mojo rigging, Carolina rigging, all is written about lake fishing.

Show me an article about flukes in current?

90% of the water we're fishing is less than 4 feet deep and it's moving. A fluke on the Kank will be basically floating downstream as fast as the current, destroying any kind of "fluke" action you may want to impart.

Also, if you're tarketing a specific spot that may have some current, the fish better hit it with a second or two of the drop because unweighted that thing isn't staying in the stike zone very long.

Scott was fishing a very interesting sinking fluke by Case. I liked it because it sank faster than a normal fluke while unweighted. Sort of a denser plastic like a Senko.

47vm9ep.jpg

Thanks for all the input. You've all offered a different perspective, which is what I was looking for, since I like to analyze so much. B)

Scott, now I recall your article from a previous newsletter (that's now in my Dad's hands). The thought of the denser plastic appeals to me most. I feel most confident in the lure when it can "freeze" in the water column, even if the current is guiding it downstream. My previous attempts to add weight often change the action, at least in my eyes.

Jim, I agree. Much of my fascination with these type baits are from my experience in lakes, especially crystal clear waters. I cannot equal my success with them in rivers, but that won't stop me from trying. I think this bait will be really productive this Fall. Getting your bait into the strike zone and keeping it there is critical no matter what you're throwing. I used my Fluke just before the latest "flood" and had quite a few missed strikes. Could be the Fluke was just moving too fast, but they sure seemed interested.

BTW, how do you attach the spinner? :lol:

Jim is right on here regarding the current and flukes.

They don't go together well.

But don't be afraid to try dragging a Carolina rig through seams and eddies as an alternative to the weighted hook. It will scare up smallies prowling the shallows.

I prefer the bait jerker myself, but since getting those weights, I had to throw them. = )