Drift Boat and River Access

Joe

I am considering buying a drift boat for several fishing opportunities. One of which is local smallmouth fishing. However, my main concern is ramp access for the fox and the dupage rivers. Any information provided would be much appreciated.

Joe

are you thinking of a REAl drift boat like hyde or klackakraft? a flat boat jonn boat may be better suited for your needs. rich

Especially for the DuPage, consider something you can carry like a canoe or kayak. You don't need a formal launch ramp as long as you can get to the shore. And, when the water is low, you can slide or lift over the problem.

are you thinking of a REAl drift boat like hyde or klackakraft? a flat boat jonn boat may be better suited for your needs. rich

I am looking at a clacka for fishing WI and MI. I was also hoping to use it locally on the fox, Dupe and Kank. From reading other posts, it looks like most guys are fishing kayaks on our local waters. I currently own a fishcat pontoon boat and have found it difficult to fish and navigate at the same time. It's also a pain in the butt to put together and take apart after each fishing trip. I did some scouting over last weekend and found a reasonable boat launch for the fox right next to a tavern in Sheridan. There are also adequate launches for the fox at Ayers landing and at a tavern in Wedron. A drift boat is a major purchase and I would get a better return on my investment if I could also use it locally.

Joe

Guest airbornemike

A drift boat will work fine on some Wisconsin waters and most Michigan flows but here in are state a good solo canoe or tripping canoe outfitted for fishing is best in my opinion for the fox and dupage, though K3 is bigger water. Even a yak beats out a drift boat for versatility, though they don't carry much gear. There is no one "do it all boat" most river rats own a floatilla of craft. Research over at www.riversmallies.com in the paddleing section loads of info.

I float the lower fox and yorkville section when water levels are low and I wouldn't want to drag a drift boat over them gravel bars for very long. Heres my tug I bought this spring from an ISA member here on the board and rigged it up for river and small lake fishing, I love it.

I concur with responses made regarding canoes and yaks. I have a 17' Wenonah Spirit II tandem kevlar canoe that my wife and I paddle with our canoe club (Prairie State Canoeists). But when it's time for fishing, I attach a set of sponses to the gunwales as well as a Minnkoka 30-30 (5 speed forward + 3 speed reverse). This permits me to take a fishing buddy in one car instead of two . . . launch at a put-in site, motor upriver a couple miles, and float fish back to the car. When I want to fish solo, I simply replace the bowman with a 70# bag of sand. Has served me well on all Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan waterways. Now if the local river would settle down.

I fish with a guy that uses a drift boat, worked just fine here in Illinois. Shoot he even had a gas cooker in it and made sausages. Should work on the larger flows locally but the smaller weedy ones probably more trouble than it's worth.

Oars , dragchains and anchors, no motor was all he had. Biggest problem he has is getting time off work and finding someone to partner with and help with the shuttle when he had time off.

And if you find the pontoon craft you have to be a pain to fish and navigate at the same time, you certainly won't gain anything with a drift boat.

A drift boat is designed for one person to row and one or two others to fish in big, fast water. They are really nice on big western trout streams, but there are better choices for most of the rivers in the Midwest. A canoe (the RIGHT canoe) is the most versatile river fishing craft for midwestern streams. Some of the bigger WI and MI streams with lots of rocks and rapids are not suited very well to canoe use, but I'd think you'd be better able to adapt the canoe to many streams in that area than to adapt the driftboat to use in the IL streams you mention.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent 10 hours in a drift boat up on the Menominnee River. I was blown away. If I had boat ramps on my rivers, I would be saving my pennies to get one. It is everything you want in a river vessel. Stable, roomy and super maneverable. It is definitely a great option for river smallmouth fishing.

• 1 month later...

I am considering buying a drift boat for several fishing opportunities. One of which is local smallmouth fishing. However, my main concern is ramp access for the fox and the dupage rivers. Any information provided would be much appreciated.

Joe

Joe,

Are you still interested in a drift boat... I have some ideas for you if you do.

Al

• 2 months later...

Joe,

Are you still interested in a drift boat... I have some ideas for you if you do.

Al

Al,

I am still very interested. I plan to make a purchase prior to next fishing season. An ideas that you have would be helpful. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

Joe