Wet Wading Boot Suggestions?

jmcghee

Ok, so I'm tired of emptying 10lbs. of sand out of the old Nike's every time I get out of the river, so I'd like to get some decent boots for wet wading. Something that dries quickly, and of course, keeps the sand out. Any suggestions?

I'd stay away neoprene socks or anything not breathable/porous. I picked up some Cabelas neoprene sock things with gravel guards and wore them in 07 and 08 for wet wading to both take up space in my boots and have a gravel guard. They worked but I ended up with a pound of water in each sock by the end of the day and I also ended up with a couple warts (one each year) that I have no doubt were the cause of my feet being in contact with what I would consider stagnant river water sweltering in my neoprene socks all day long.

I would use the same boots you wade with normally but pick up some Simms gravel guards and wear a pair or two of cheap wool socks to take up the space your wader footies normally would.

No need for special boots. I use my regular wading shoes, 3 MM neoprene socks and gravel guards without any problems.

Having said that, Kevin brings up a good point relating to water quality.You must learn to be judicious about whether to wear waders or wet wade based upon the water quality, stream bottom etc. I used to wet wade a lot but in recent years have worn my waders 95 % of the time. A couple of streams I fish have high cattle usage and during the past few summers with very low flows, stagnant water, and all sorts of slime, scum etc. the waders were on, even during 95 degree heat. Even on a pristine stream like the Apple, in low summer flows, silt builds up and that silt contains all sorts of nasty stuff. A few years ago a kid in Florida died from exposure to a silt laden bacteria that he kicked up while diving into what was a clear water stream. He had an open sore on his leg allowing the bacteria to enter. After reading that, I became very cautious about where and when I wet wade.

Mike D

I'd stay away neoprene socks or anything not breathable/porous. I picked up some Cabelas neoprene sock things with gravel guards and wore them in 07 and 08 for wet wading to both take up space in my boots and have a gravel guard. They worked but I ended up with a pound of water in each sock by the end of the day and I also ended up with a couple warts (one each year) that I have no doubt were the cause of my feet being in contact with what I would consider stagnant river water sweltering in my neoprene socks all day long.

I would use the same boots you wade with normally but pick up some Simms gravel guards and wear a pair or two of cheap wool socks to take up the space your wader footies normally would.

Sounds like you might have bought too big. Just buy so they hug your legs tight better than loose. Save on constantly dirty sock piles.

I own a pair of Cabelas wet wading boots that have felt soles.The nice thing is they're much lighter than most wading boots and ez to put on with a side zipper.They fit snug keeping out all debris.The only problem is their soles aren't as thick as wading boot soles and your feet can take a beating on streams with a lot of cobble stones.No problem on streams like the Dupe whch don't.You can go 1 size larger and insert a pair of Dr Scholl's for comfort on cobbly streams or as BT suggests neprene socks.

Hodgman, and others I presume, make porous neoprene wading socks. The neoprene provides warmth without the concerns that have been mentioned about seal skinz type waterprooof neoprene.

I primarily wear mine for kayaking because I step in the water getting in and out-like you're supposed to.

Gregg

Sounds like you might have bought too big. Just buy so they hug your legs tight better than loose. Save on constantly dirty sock piles.

They hugged the legs pretty good. Actually it was a struggle to get them off. It was the foot part that was bigger just like a wader footie which allowed water to pool. I'll be staying away from anything that traps water. JMO based on my experience.

I still need to find some boots myself for wet wading. I've been using my regular boots but they are not as snug as I would like despite wearing thick socks and I don't want to twist an ankle. I think I am going to look at a regular pair of wading boots and just go down a size since I won't need that extra room for neoprene footies. Best of both worlds IMO.