Wanted to buy, borrow, or trade

Jonn Graham

It will probably be a long winter for a newbie fly fisherman that is totally obsessed. I need to read some books. I have a couple of smallmouth fly fishing books (Holschlag's, Turtilliane's, and Cornwall's), but I am looking for more. Especially would like to read the one by Bob Clouser and Harry Murray.

Anyone out there want to sell a used copy, let me borrow it, or trade for some jigs??? Let me know.

Jonn,

I have the Harry Murray book I would loan you for a loan of Turtinallane or Cornwall. We could exchange by mail and then trade back at the Blowout. I would also like to get my hands on Clouser's Flies. It's a little pricey and I haven't found it at any Libraries.

Josh

Jonn

If not included in any of those how to smallie books the most important books/ videos you can get are how tos on flycasting itself both basic and advanced including mending.Practicing is fine but you'll improve as a caster better if you know the proper techniques upon which to practice.Many of the techniques/ strategies you already know as an accomplished spinfisherman apply to ffing whereas flycasting is a whole new ballgame.

I have a friend who is a fly casting instructor. I think I will save my $$$$ spent on fly casting videos/books and spend them elsewhere. I am sure my buddy can steer me the right way once we get a chance to fish together.

If you only have an occasional chance to fish with your ffing buddy which seems to be the case you would still benefit from having the info always at hand to refer to.The small cost of a cupl videos/books will pay big dividends to your learning.In my case for example I took a big leap forward in the early 70s when I learned how to haul thanks to 3 articles on basic to advanced flycasting in Sports Afield magazine by the great Lee Wulff.Before that I didn't know such a technique even existed although I'd already been flyfishing for 8 yrs.

I saw this book last week at Borders. It is expensive ($60) but is $20 cheaper at Amazon. Lot's of great photos and very direct instruction. I haven't been able to learn much about casting by reading books, but if there's a book that could help, I would guess this would be it. One thing I have learned the last few years as I've been moving toward fly fishing, is that everybody that I've been instructed by has a different way of thinking about and teaching casting and the only way to get better at it is to know what you're trying to do, what the line is doing, and know you're own stroke enough that you know how to fix it when it's not working. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. It's worse than golf.

http://www.amazon.com/Casting-Lefty-Kreh/d...6504&sr=8-1

Jonn,

Don't pass on those old time trout guys, they know some stuff. You just need to do a little smallie translating.

Tom Rosenbauer is a fairly new guy worth reading as well.

Intralibray loans is the cheapest way to go.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.