My first real attempt at fly tying

I have playing at the vise again. I really want to come up with my own flies that will catch fish. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I want my flies to be slightly different than any thing else on the market. Here are a couple of photos of my first attempts.

2v3n42e.jpg

These are my version of the clouser minnow. By the way, these flies have already proven their worth. This past friday I caught 11 smallies with one of my clousers...........very cool feeling.

a11j81.jpg

I really have been playing with Estaz. I really like that material. I only have two colors right now, but really like the appearance it gives the fly. I have been complimenting the back of the fly with craft hair, arctic fox, and/or silicone strands. Have also caught one smallie on these flys as well.

jzgzdu.jpg

As many of you long-rodders will know, the above picture is of the Hairy Fodder, the creation of Mr. Riendau. These are two fodders I did myself. Complete with rattles, but not the interchangeable lead eyes. I think they turned out quite well.

comment away............................

Nice job! I particularly like the fodders. The one issue I see is that you seem to be crowding the eye on your clousers. Tie your eyes in a little farther back and give yourself a little more room to finish the fly. It will make your life a lot easier.

Guest rich mc

one thing most new to tying do is use too much material, less is better. i am referring mostly to the artic fox tail fly.that amount may be ok for a heavier jig but for a fly would be too thick . enjoy the madness.

john, by now it is just about impossable to create a "new fly". what I like to do is combine different aspects of known flies and make a "hybrid". that has worked great for me. what you will eventually do is create your own "style" of tying. atleast thats what I've found. I spend probably 2 hours a day at the vise, it helps unwind me and occupies some time, not to mention keeping me out of trouble!! I really enjoy it alot. I'm on this new realistic kick. realistic but still fishable. I'm not one to put anything on display and not be able to use it. one of the neatest things I like is finding new materials and new ways of using them. that has helped my tying out alot. there are days when I'm done with a new creation it gets pitched right into the garbage, it just didnt work out. there will be alot of trial and error if you really get into tying unless you tie strictkly text book patterns. just try to keep it fun!!

Joe

I have playing at the vise again. I really want to come up with my own flies that will catch fish. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I want my flies to be slightly different than any thing else on the market. Here are a couple of photos of my first attempts.

2v3n42e.jpg

These are my version of the clouser minnow. By the way, these flies have already proven their worth. This past friday I caught 11 smallies with one of my clousers...........very cool feeling.

a11j81.jpg

I really have been playing with Estaz. I really like that material. I only have two colors right now, but really like the appearance it gives the fly. I have been complimenting the back of the fly with craft hair, arctic fox, and/or silicone strands. Have also caught one smallie on these flys as well.

jzgzdu.jpg

As many of you long-rodders will know, the above picture is of the Hairy Fodder, the creation of Mr. Riendau. These are two fodders I did myself. Complete with rattles, but not the interchangeable lead eyes. I think they turned out quite well.

comment away............................

Jonn,

Just to make it interesting I will take exception with Joe D about how hard it is to create a new fly. For perspective, some of my old books on flies and fly fishing date back to around 1940. The basic flies are standard wet flies, dry flies, and streamers. (Around that time Gapen was tying his first Muddler). Flies like the flies you tied were not even around then. No Clousers, no woolly buggers, no Fodders. So in a generation or two we have seen alot of new entries.

Part of this is driven by new materials. Yet, on the other hand, flies like the Dahlburg Diver use traditional materials in a new creative way. So what will lead to your 21st Century breakthrouh in SMB flies? First I think you are in agood position to do it because you have the knowledge of the fish and experience with the lure behaviors that work. Now how do you put that into a fly, as, say, Bob Clouser did with his Deep Minnow? It surprised me to hear that the Rapala inspired Clouser to creat the Deep Minnow. He was looking to recreate the diving-rising action of the Rapala. Though the fly looks nothing like a Rapala, it has the behavior that Clouser wanted-rising and diving. So, ask yourself how you want the fly to behave. What successful spinning or casting lure behaviors can you put into your fly? What is the fly rod version of a swimming jig?

PS I want one.