Buzzbaits

Paul Trybul

I heard for years how guys catch bass on buzzbaits. In what was probably the case of too many lures too little time, I never encorporated the buzzbait in my arsinal. After all it doesn't look like any of the natural foreage that swims in my rivers. Last year I saw some on sale for like $.99 so I picked up a black one. It sat there unused until about a week ago I tied it on. I tried it in an area I has already fished because I thought there should be more fish in the area but needed a reaction tactic to get them to bite. Nothing hit in that 15 minute try. Last night I had about an hour to kill so I grabbed that rod with the buzzbait on it and went to a local preserve. It was cloudy and much cooler than the day before and the river looked in good shape. About 5 minutes into using it this time I saw a big wake heading towards it with a nice strike followed by some heavy head shaking. It ended up being a 24" pike. A few cast later another pike. This thing was turning out to be quite the pike magnet but it was the smallmouth bass I really wanted. About 1/2 and hour went by with no action. Im sure you've all been there before. The action gets slow, your mind starts wandering about different things and you totally loose focus on the fishing. I'm not sure exactly what I was daydreaming about but it was interupted on a hit that just about ripped the rod right out of my hand. It was a nice chuncky smallmouth that was giving me a run for my money in some heavy current. It ended up being a nice 17.25" smallmouth and my first buzzbait bass. I had about 15 minutes left and I caught another smallmouth around 15" and had a few other blow-up and misses. I really wish I had the 3rd grip with a 2nd rod and a finess plastic. I think the buzzbait covering water waking them up followed with a finess plastic for the swing and misses would have been very effective. I found this to be a very entertaining way of fishing and wish I would have tried it sooner. I realize that like any topwater bite it can be hit or miss. I definately will make make it part of my arsenal for when its on! Since I bought a cheapie at $.99, it is already getting beat up. I was wondering what you guys think is the best buzzbait money can buy for targeting smallmouth.

Instead of an extra rod, I always use a snap. If they swipe at but don't hook up on the buzz bait, I'll switch to the Chug Bug and tease them. Works quite often, and you still get the topwater rush.

I used to throw the buzz a lot, and always the cheapies. Off the rack, they will pull to the left. Like Eric said, that's perfect when you want to bump it off of rip rap on the left bank. If you want to bump off of rip-rap on the right bank, bend the fins completely in the opposite direction. I used to carry at least one that would pull left (off the rack) and one that would pull right (modified).

As Bterrill said on a previous thread, the open bend can be closed with a small piece of wire so your snap doesn't slide around. I don't even bother with that anymore, and I rarely have a problem with the snap sliding out of place.

Like you I just added buzzbaits to my arsenal this year - mostly for largemouths. I like the cheapies because I can bend them around - I have a few good ones but they don't seem to bend as well - want to return to the factory shape. I tend to bend them up so the spinner thingy clanks against the head or wire - seems to draw more hits that way. Downside is you are always adjusting the bait to get that clack sound with the cheapies. I finally broke down and ordered up a couple Booyah's with a built in clacker and a black spinner - I really like running a buzzbait and chatterbait when fishing for LMB's at night - nothing like a good solid buzzbait hit in the pitch black starlight to get the system pumping :)

Guest rich mc

i like to use a gene larew minnow on mine. extra weight helps to cast it farther and the body is slim . also a plastic blade model can be retrieved very slow and has worked better in fall . just becareful fishing around rocks and concrete as they can crack. rich

Bussbaits equipped with a "quad" wing (four blades)---I like to use for fishing "SLOW".

Yes, the plastic blades can break, when banged against a hard object, such as concrete or steel walls, and rocks.

Tanden-double-bladed, "counter-turning" blades make for lots of surface commotion.

They spray lots of water, when moved at a rapid rate.

These type buzzers, are getting popular, with some avid anglers---

bass as well as pike and musky anglers.

Tri-wing blades are also popular, with a few anglers.

Adding a plastic bodied trailer, also gives the lure a larger profile.

Single-tail grubs are the most commonly used trailers---however,

twin tail grubs provide more surface commotion, on the trailing end.

A large grub, with the "c-tail" cut-off, half-way around, results with the grubs trailing end, waving in a side to side motion, vs a cork-screw like fashion.

A "stinger hook" can be added---beneficial when fish are striking short.

Some anglers use a trailer hook all the time, and their catch rates have increased.

Works for me.

These type buzzers, are getting popular, with some avid anglers---

bass as well as pike and musky anglers.

I took my cheap buzzbait up north and yes it works on muskies. I couldn't catch any bass on it and the muskies weren't that big. It's still fun to catch fish on top. I added a 3" twister tail trailer to give it more bulk this time.

Increase your catch even further by throwing a Lucky Craft Splashtail 90 double prop bait. Dual trebles increase the amount of hookups. Both props are on ball bearings for freedom of movement. The blades can be bent back and forth to get different levels of commotion.

The bait can be cranked in straight like a buzzbait, dived below the surface for a very shadlike 'vroop', used like a popper. Fished like a jerkbait, etc...

LC Splashtail

2nd bait down

With Indiana waters being more stained this year, this bait has really shined in drawing fish out and covering water.

I've added dozen or so Smallies in the 18-19.5" range in the last couple months on this lure.

Those dual prop baits seem to get fouled in my Fireline on nearly every cast. Drives me nuts. I won't use them, especially the $16 Lucky Craft baits.

I had this problem at first, Scott. It can be 90% solved by keeping a tight line reeling in before splashdown. Do not jerk the bait with the rod tip- this is what wraps the line on the props, instead impart all the action by changing speed with your reel hand. Tight line=no wrapping.

The local Dick's had Cavitrons on clearence for a decent price so I bought a 1/4 white and took it out on the Middle Fork. The next day I went back and bought out their entire stock. They have a chirping noise that seems to irritate smallies, run true, can be burned or retreived slower than any other buzzer I've used. Just an real quality product in all respects in my opinion.