Suffix Nightmares

Mark K

So I filled my Sahara up with 10 lb Suffix. I've been liking, no loving it till now. Not sure if I have a bad spool or they changed it. I went from loving it to, this is the worst line I have ever used.

This latest spool I bought has ZERO tolerance to line twist. It forms little loops and knots CONSTANTLY.

I'm using it on a new reel. From what i can tell. It's functioning fine. I have been using Flukes and Senkos, which can put some twist in your line, but I'm doing nothing different than in the past.

It's pretty expensive at 17 bucks a spool for a measly 150 yds. It has ridiculous, stupid, wasteful packaging that has to add to the cost and the spool it comes on sucks too. It has a big notch in it that catches the line and probably nicks it.

Last year, I started using it and really liked it. It hs some kind of coating that makes it totally impervious to abrasion. The color looks "weedy" to me, even when it fades. Nothing but good things to say about it...till now.

Anyone experiencing problems? Did they change something?

So I filled my Sahara up with 10 lb Suffix. I've been liking, no loving it till now. Not sure if I have a bad spool or they changed it. I went from loving it to, this is the worst line I have ever used.

This latest spool I bought has ZERO tolerance to line twist. It forms little loops and knots CONSTANTLY.

I'm using it on a new reel. From what i can tell. It's functioning fine. I have been using Flukes and Senkos, which can put some twist in your line, but I'm doing nothing different than in the past.

It's pretty expensive at 17 bucks a spool for a measly 150 yds. It has ridiculous, stupid, wasteful packaging that has to add to the cost and the spool it comes on sucks too. It has a big notch in it that catches the line and probably nicks it.

Last year, I started using it and really liked it. It hs some kind of coating that makes it totally impervious to abrasion. The color looks "weedy" to me, even when it fades. Nothing but good things to say about it...till now.

Anyone experiencing problems? Did they change something?

>>>........... totally impervious to abrasion<<<

Interesting.....

Is that what the OEM claims?

"piano wire" and bicycle spokes are very abrasion resistant.

After trying several different superbraid lines,

I've settled on Cortlands MasterBraid.

Its formulated for spinning reels---NO "wind knots", loops, or knotting.

MasterBraid is NOT coated.

Nodules form on coated lines, as the coating wears/rubs off---

making for snagging/catching when one is casting.

The nodules contribute to an increase in backlashes, on level-wind reels.

Since using Masterbraid, I don't experience any snagging, and

backlashes are nearly eliminated.

The best superbraid line I've found, to date.

Since using Masterbraid, I don't experience any snagging, and

backlashes are nearly eliminated.

The best superbraid line I've found, to date.

Sounds great. But good old Fireline does that too though it gets funky looking after a while.

I like to hear about the new stuff though I like to use something I am used to.

Interesting.....

Is that what the OEM claims?

No. Better yet. It's what Mark K. claims. OEMs are usually complete liars. I only exaggerate. So take "totally abrasion resistant" and change it to "extremely abrasion resistant".

A moot point, since I'm cutting most of it off because of the little loops and knots it forms.

The problem is not abrasion resistance. It's the line is too damn limp and has no tolerance to line twist. Fireline does. It is slightly stiffer.

The initial spools I bought last year. Had no problems.

I've been trying the Performance Pro or whatever it's called, and it seems to work pretty good so far. Hasn't faded like Power Pro does. I also just bought some Fireline Translucent stuff to try on a cheap Abu combo that I won a couple years ago at a tournament raffle. I haven't tried it out yet, the combo or the line, but it may see some action this coming week. Never had a rod with stainless steel guides before.... should be interesting. ;)

I used Fireline for years. I had the dark green Power Pro on for most of last year and the beginning of this year. I went back to Hi-Vis Green Fireline a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier! Pretty much trouble free, and I love the visibility.

Never had a rod with stainless steel guides before.... should be interesting. ;)

Yes indeed! It will be interesting. You maybe had a rod with stainless guides before, AKA a Snoopy Rod. Stainless guides are some of the least expensive you will find for rod building. I assume they are less durable. ;)

Therefore I speculate that they might easily abraid withsome lines. Back when all my rods had stainless guides,mono did not hurt them. Now I am interested to see if Fireline causes any problems for you in case I want to resurrect an old warrior and string it with Fireline. :rolleyes:

Sufix braid 20lbs test breaks very easily at the knot when pulling free snags. Only real beef with it.

If you are getting wind knots with new braid it is because you are using a slack line lure like a fluke or popper, then putting too much force into a cast causing too much line to spool off. Keep your line tight and watch for loose line before each cast. Pull the line snug and manually close the bail after each cast can help.

Keep the line tight on the spool.

Mark:

I have suffix braid on all of my rods/reels. Ten pound on the spinners, and 20 pound on the casting reels...........I love it! Have not had any problems whatsoever. Sorry to hear that you have had some problems. Maybe perhaps you did get a bad spool. You are correct about the notch in the spool...............dumb idea.

Now, when it comes to Cortland Masterbraid. I tried it on my casting gear and absolutely hated it! It would backlash very easily and when it did backlash, I had the line snap twice costing me two baits. I hated the color of the line even when it was new. I would challenge anyone to compre cortland and Sufix braid and get back to me on what you honestly think. Ken D., can you honestly say you have tried Sufix for any length of time?

Mark:

I have suffix braid on all of my rods/reels. Ten pound on the spinners, and 20 pound on the casting reels...........I love it! Have not had any problems whatsoever. Sorry to hear that you have had some problems. Maybe perhaps you did get a bad spool. You are correct about the notch in the spool...............dumb idea.

Now, when it comes to Cortland Masterbraid. I tried it on my casting gear and absolutely hated it! It would backlash very easily and when it did backlash, I had the line snap twice costing me two baits. I hated the color of the line even when it was new. I would challenge anyone to compre cortland and Sufix braid and get back to me on what you honestly think. Ken D., can you honestly say you have tried Sufix for any length of time?

I fished my Daiwa SS today spooled up with Suffix from last year. Not a problem all day. Different reel, lures and line from last year.

I'm going to try one more spool.

It would not suprise me if they changed it, with the oil crunch al ot of companies are cutting corners. Of course it's one bad spool or maybe a just the fishing gremlins messing with me or a combination of all the above. That's why I threw the question out.

Anybody tried Cortland's new line of bait? It's called Masterb.....nevermind.

...........Never had a rod with stainless steel guides before.... should be interesting. ;)

Jim,

"Stainless steel" is the insert ring in rod guides.

The guide frames are made of coated or plated steel wire.

The stainless insert rings shouldn't pose a problem with line.

Some OEMs have changed to the stainless steel insert rings in their rod guides, because of the ceramic type inserts getting damaged, due to misuse and abuse.

Also the OEM's costs are less than.

There are various grades of the stainless steel guides on the market.

Cheap ones are found on some low cost rods.

Some OEM's are using "titanium" rod guides, on their high-end rods.

These are the most durable; however they cost a lot more.

PS---

Some quality fly rods, on todays market, employ "titanium" coated wire eyes.

These are suppose to be the newest and most durable.

I've installed some of these new tip-tops on my fly rods---the eye is also larger over the regular plated eyes, found on most fly rods on todays market.

The larger tip-top eye results in less snagging and catching of the knotted joints, where the leader and fly-line is joined, and

less hangups with the "leader loops", that some fly anglers use.

Ken D., can you honestly say you have tried Sufix for any length of time?

Jonn,

I've used the brand a few years back,

and for several weeks thereafter.

I was not satisified with its performance, and switched to other superbraid lines.

Perhaps the OEM has made some recent improvements, in their processes of making their braided line.

FYI---

the Dyneema ® fiber, presently used in the thigh quality superbraid lines is identical.

Each line OEM has their own process, to make their braid/weave and each

has their own means of top-coating the line.

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/hpf/home_dyneema.htm

Now, when it comes to Cortland Masterbraid. I tried it on my casting gear and absolutely hated it! It would backlash very easily and when it did backlash, I had the line snap twice costing me two baits. ..............

The 30lb test is a little larger diameter, and may result in improved castability.

I've been using the MasterBraid, for 2 years now, on several ""Shimano"" Bait-Casting reels and spinning reels, and haven't experienced any of the problems you've noted.

Never had a break-off during casting.

Some anglers may experience a break-off during casting, due to "snap-casting" of some lures.

It's also recommended by some, to use a "palomar" or "trilene knot", when joining lures, or the like, when using superbraid lines.

I've experimented with various knots, and the two (noted above), are the strongest.

Because of the utra clear water down here I have started using Seaguar Fluorocarbon line and it has been very good. Works well in 6-8lb for the Spinning reels and 17lb for the Baitcasters. The reason I went to it was I fished with a guide friend of mine and he whipped my butt with the same lure, lineweight, and presentation. The only difference was the Seaguar line.

Because of the utra clear water down here I have started using Seaguar Fluorocarbon line and it has been very good. Works well in 6-8lb for the Spinning reels and 17lb for the Baitcasters. The reason I went to it was I fished with a guide friend of mine and he whipped my butt with the same lure, lineweight, and presentation. The only difference was the Seaguar line.

And that he was a guide with years of experience fishing that body of water.... maybe he new the cadence to work that triggered strikes, it often is how you present.. Maybe he knew the type of areas that hold fish exact rock etc... previous knowledge is a huge factor. I'm sure the action of the bait mattered too.

Smallies in rivers are not line shy in my opinion. I fish in clear creeks most of the year.

The human brain can certainly draw it's own unscientific facts about fishing, fish are line shy, color matters, smallmouth like small baits, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Sufix like Spider Wire is a brand. They both produce monos and braids. Siege and Elite are monos which, I assume, do not need backing. Sufix makes Performance Braid which probably needs backing to keep it from slipping on your spool.

Next question, given that the prices and catalogue descriptions are the same, what is the difference between Seige and Elite.