Braided lines that won't discolor with time?

Rob G

I was curious if anyone has used a braided line that held onto its green color after fishing a while. So many that I have tried seem to lose their color and turn white-ish after a few times out. Also, has anyone tried the invisible SpiderWire? Does it really become translucent when wet and less visible in the water? Thanks for your input.

The spectra fibers they make the line out of doesn't hold the dyes very well. I don't much care what the color of the line is. I don't believe fish know what line is. My theory is, if they know what line is, how come they can't figure out what treble hooks are? They are probably much more sensitive to the vibrations the line gives off coming through the water than they are about the fact that it may be more visible. I believe when using mono, that lighter lines catch more fish not because of the reduced visibility, but because lighter, thinner lines let lures run deeper where they encounter more fish.

I like to be able to see my line. Especially the superlines that float. I watch the line as my bait is drifting in the current. When a fish picks up the bait, the line will twitch and start to straighten out which tells me it's time to set the hook. If the line is hard to see, I lose my strike indicator.

Rob,

Cortlands MasterBraid, a superbraid line, color DOES NOT wear off,

as with most other superbraid lines on todays market.

Most other superbraids are coated with a colored wax-like material, that wears off rapidly during use.

Lots of good info on the matter has been presented, in previous posts.

I have tried many superlines over the years. Here are my feelings concerning a few:

Power Pro was fine when I used it, but it lost its green color. But, I have a reliable source that tells me that the line has been reformulated and WILL NOT lose its color anymore.

Fireline: Simply did not like it. Seemed to fray and lose its color rapidly.

Suffix performance braid: Absolutely love it! Holds its mint green color and casts and handles like a champ. My favorite for now.

Cortland Masterbraid: Just got a new casting reel filled with this at Strictly Fishing due to the fact that they did not Suffix. I figured what the heck. The folks at Strictly Fishing spoke very highly of it. I have only used it a few times and it seems ok. ONly problem is the line itself does not have much coloring even when it is new. Now maybe they make the same line in green? I am sure Ken can help us out on that one.

That is my take so far on super lines. Keep in mind it was not long ago when I was not a big fan of superlines. Then I found Suffix and fell in love with it. I don't think superline is the best line choice for every fishing application, but for most of them it seems to do just fine.

Cortlands MasterBraid is available in the following colors:

*Bronzeback Brown--- (#1 color choice and very appropriately named, by avid SMB anglers).

*Hi-Vis Yellow---Highly visible under all light conditions. Favorite amongst line watchers and float/drift fishing anglers.

This line color can be see the furthest distance. I float fish around and under several bridges---you can easily see where the line is going, and when it stops moving or paying out.

*Seafoam Green---( top color choice of many saltwater anglers).

Since introducing many anglers to the Cortland MasterBraid, many are converts, and now prefer the line to any other superbraids currently on the market.

BTW---GAT sells more Cortland Masterbraid line over all other superbraid lines on todays market.

What difference does color make?

Like Scott noted---I agree, fish don't know what line is. There lots of stuff in the water---weeds, wood, rocks, and the like.

Why do most successful fly anglers use hi-vis floating fly line?

So they can see it.

When fishing clear water and using high-vis lines, I add a tippet of clear line.

Akin to a fly angler, using a leader/tippet on a fly line.

I've fished with the Bronzeback Brown, in clear water, and outfished anglers using clear line!

Why?

I could see the line move or not move, when a fish picked up the lure/bait, and could set the hook much sooner.

Clear line can blend in very well with the waters surface, and you may not observe whats going on.

A fish can pick up and spit out the bait, in a split second.

With a Hi-Vis line, I feel I have a big advantage.

Anglers with vision issues, prefer the hi-vis lines over clear lines.

Successful float fisherman, fishing for steelhead in gin clear waters, also prefer a hi-vis line.

============

For the best mono, on todays market, my #1 choice is Cortlands Endurance Supermono Line---(a coplymer line).

Presently available in clear, hi-vis yellow and hi-vis orange.

Hi-vis yellow can be seen for great distances.

The orange is outstanding for the ice fishing anglers. Very visible on the ice and snow---

whereas, clear line blends in and gets lost.

Jonn, do you tend to use the 10 or 20 lb Suffix superbraid for most of your fishing?

kend, it very well may be me and in my head but I just don't like my line being that white and visible cutting thru the water. As far as fly fishing, most will tell you that we don't want our fly line to pass over the fish on the drift (or even on the false cast for that matter) but rather keep your cast if at all possible just short of the fish and allow only the leader and tippet to pass over the fish, better yet, the fly alone should pass over the fish for best results. Again thank you for your thoughts.

I have used most all braids. I agree with John, Sufix is the best I have thrown. Throws a mile, holds up very well. I love it.

As for the color. I carry a olive, brown, aqua and black colored mini sharpie marker. I decide what color the water is that day and match it with one or more markers. markers. I loop the line over the felt tip and pull the last 5 feet or so over it. It twists and creates a "camo" pattern. Lasts all day or more.

I also use the markers to color to my liking or tone down some baits (like an overly bright orange bellied crank), add a gill flair or a lateral line and to add fire tips to my trailers. It works great on plastics. I carry red & orange mini sharpies too. I am convinced I get more hits if I add a few small bands of alternating orange/brown, orange/olive or red/black to my trailers, tubes, senkos, shakey worms etc...

Works like charm.

- Plus out on the stream, you never know when someone will want your autograph. :rolleyes:

Jim

I use PP when it's whiteish green. Doesn't make a difference- at all. In fact, you can see it better to detect line movement on strikes. Line color doesn't matter in so many techniques. Remember in most rivers, your tube is bouncing along in the current.

They have a brain the size of a pea. Do you think smallies worry about aquatic plant threads when their food is hiding behind it?

Smallies think food, aren't line shy in the slightest. IMHO. Line vis affecting bites is in an anglers head. Trout are much more discerning fish. We probably shouldn't compare them too much. World of difference there.

I catch so many more fish because my line doesn't break and I can horse them out of spot 8lbs testers wouldn't dare throw.

The marker for the end of the line is a good idea, Jim. You still have to throw the right weight tube :D .

Anyways, don't believe it, come fishing.

I hear ya. "Brain the size of a pea".... wanna fight about it? ;)

BT, As you know, I am a long time steelhead fisherman. I can't tell you the times I have seen steelhead pointed upstream, adjust and slightly move out of the way as a line and jig float toward and past them. Why do you think steelheaders use 2 - 6 lb. floro tippet leaders for those pigs? Not for fun (well kinda.) Sometimes you can't catch them any other way. They avoid anything that seems out of place. A line floating/cutting through the water is absolutely out of place.

I have also sight fished and watched largemouth that have become "line shy". The dinks will readily hit your offering, but try and get one of the bigger, older (wiser) fish to hit it. Rare. Now switch to a small diameter floro. Bam! makes all the difference in the world. Didn't change lures. It was the line.

It's about water clarity (light dispersal/depth), speed of retrieve (do they have time to see it?) and the tactic you are using. Also hunger, aggressiveness, and learned/adapted response.

Pea brain. A fish that has successfully evolved and adapted for millions of years. Yes they proliferate by shear numbers, but even today, a fish doesn't reach 18" to 20+ inches by being lucky or "dumb". Now I agree with you that many times, line color doesn't matter. But sometimes it absolutely does. Why risk it?

my 2 shinny pennies

- Jim

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 :P

Jim,

You are now officially the "Terrell Owens" of smallie fishing! :P Catch a fish, pull a pen out of your vest, sign it and send it on its way. It's quite apparent that you need an endorsement deal with sharpie! :rolleyes: