Fat Fish

Don Plauck

I was the guide on that trip (i say that cuz i was drivin the canoe)...there were a bunch of nice smallies stacked at the dayton dam...they were all feeding on shad. That fish was a pig. We caught about 20 nice fish there. It was kind of a bust after that. All of the smallies seemed to be up at the dayton dam area. We fished to the mouth of the fox/IL rivers and we only caught fish up there. That picture doesn't do that fish justice cuz it was hugely fat. We fished the rest of that stretch and caught a few white bass and drum...got round up by something that was probably a big flathead just downstream of the dam. get down there and fish that area if you can...he caught that one on a minner or leach rig if i remember correctly.. Good luck!

Pete caught this on May 6th on the Fox River fishing from the canoe with myself and his brother, Andy. Although not weighed, far and away the fattest smallmouth I have ever seen in my life(72 years)!

Approximately 17" long- guessed it at over 4 lbs.

Very nice catch, Don. I too have a canoe and am a member of ISA and Prairie State Canoeists. The stretch of the river appears a nice part of the river my wife and I would enjoy paddling. In what area of the Fox was the picture taken? Thanks.

Steve Kollmann (aka "Paddlin' Man")

i doubt my dad will reply...my sister-in-law posted that for my brother with my dad's login. Dad's not really computer savy yet. That was taken within sight of the dayton dam. That stretch is a nice paddle but the fishing got progressively worse as we moved downstream that day. May just be the time of year...Canoed it in July a few years back caught one or two whities, eyes and saugers and a few smallies. The stretch above the dam starting in sheridan is much more scenic...below the dayton dam you only have about a mile until you're in ottawa. not a pretty part of the river i might add.