Any Rod Builders Here?

Mike G

Nothing warms a cold winter's night like building a rod that you plan to put into action when it warms up in spring. (OK there are some other things. But this one is G Rated.) I used to build glass and graphite rods "from scratch." Lately I have mostly been using my skills to repair or modify my rods. I was just wondering if anyone else builds. Show of hands?

I've built a couple.

-fiberglass 3-weight(Lamiglas)

-Graphite ML Spinning(St. Croix Premier)

-Bamboo 5-weight(well is was suppose to be a 4 weight but what're you going to do? I split and planed that in a class at Coren's)

I have 2 in the works right now. A 6'6" 3-weight for my daughter and a 7' G-Loomis crankbait rod(blend). I'm really looking forward to the Loomis, it will have a blue American Tackle guides with a cork split grip that I've already glued the rings and shaped. This is a med power blank with a mod-fast tip for crankbaits specifically but it will double duty with blade baits too(Spinner and Chatter).

What do you want to know? I suggest checking out this site and asking questions but they're pretty much fly guys and now almost completely split cane guys. (BTW, I'm not very good but happy to share my experiences) I think I have a Flexcoat DVD that show quite a bit that I can give to you.

I made use a homemade stand with V blocks for wrapping guides and I glue up cork rings on a section of 1/4" threaded rod for grips, the rod is covered with teflon tape so the grip will release. I shape the grips by chucking the rod into a drill press and sanding it, like a vertical lathe(I clamp a block with a hole in it as a guide to tame the run out). That's pretty much it, if you have a broken rod use it to practice wrapping guides, I suck at myself. You can get rod building supplies at Coren's, Dan's Tackle Service, and Cabelas. I don't think Joseph carries building supplies but he may, there are many places to get blanks. The best way to do your first one is to do a cheapy loaner rod, Hook and Hackle always has specials.

Guest rich mc

paul center is also a great rod builder. he makes them for jonn and has soke to the shabbonaclub on rods, guides, handles etc. possible speaker topic here for a local meeting rich

I've built a couple.

-fiberglass 3-weight(Lamiglas)

-Graphite ML Spinning(St. Croix Premier)

-Bamboo 5-weight(well is was suppose to be a 4 weight but what're you going to do? I split and planed that in a class at Coren's)

I have 2 in the works right now. A 6'6" 3-weight for my daughter and a 7' G-Loomis crankbait rod(blend). I'm really looking forward to the Loomis, it will have a blue American Tackle guides with a cork split grip that I've already glued the rings and shaped. This is a med power blank with a mod-fast tip for crankbaits specifically but it will double duty with blade baits too(Spinner and Chatter).

Nick,

That Boo alone makes you a Black Belt in my book. I have built about a dozen in fiberglass and graphite and rebuild 3-4 others.

would like to bulid one over the cool months

looking to make a 6,3' one of those hard to find kind any one would like to do a class or traide services ?? or even help a brother out ???

would make a great meeting a blow out deal ????

Steve,

We can help. Rod building is a simple process; don't be afraid of it. For the first few I buildt, I got good results just following the instructions on a 4 page pamphlet that came with the kit. As Nick pointed out Flex Coat has some good materials. Their Step by Step Rod Building is a good 48 page book available from Jann's Netcraft for $5. Let me know if you want to borrow my copy. BTW making your first rod from a kit is a good idea since a good kit will have all the right components to go with the rod.

As you start reviewing material, the important thing to keep in mind is that you can make building as simple or as complicated as you want to. For example, you can build the handle by mounting the cork rings directly on the rod and sanding it to shape with a sanding block and template. This is a task that some use a lathe for. But if you do not have a lathe, you have another way. Likewise, a rod wrapping stand is a nice tool to have. Though I have one, I made a lot of rods without using it because I was away in college dorms or at friend's homes. We used the cup and book method to put tension on the thread. (Put the spool of thread in a cup, and pass thread between the pags of a book to maintain tension. Stack another book on top to increase tension) There are many other examples of steps in the process where you can take a simplified approach in lieu of something more complex.

Ideally a place like Coren's or some other class would be the place to go for a first rod. But distance could be a problem. We need to know your general location to suggest places or locations. Though ISA has had presentations in the past, it does not look like any are on the current schedule. If the interest is there, I suppose that would change.

So get back to us. Pmail me if you do not want to give out location information on the board.

I am putting on a rod building seminar this winter for our members as well as anyone who is interested in building their own rod. This seminar will be held in Indianapolis and all our brothers from IL are welcome! If you'd like to attend or help out, PM me here or on our board @ www.indianasmallmouth.com.

John Bunner

I am putting on a rod building seminar this winter for our members as well as anyone who is interested in building their own rod. This seminar will be held in Indianapolis and all our brothers from IL are welcome! If you'd like to attend or help out, PM me here or on our board @ www.indianasmallmouth.com.

John Bunner

Thanks for the invitation, John.

• 3 weeks later...

John,

I really enjoy building my own sticks and have done so for years. I'm only an hour and a half from Indy, so let me know as I would like to make it. Probably the best web site for rod builders in my opinion, as many of these guys have been custom builders for years and really know the technical side.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2