Letter sent to the Chicago Tribune Management today...

Dan Basore

Dear Ms. Lipinski, Mr. Warren and Mr. McGrath...

I have searched your web site and find no place to cancel my subscription which I now ask you to execute for me. I feel the need to explain why I am doing this. Your newspaper has chosen to discontinue the Outdoors recreation coverage.

The Chicago Tribune was long a National leader with columnists including John Husar, Tom MacNally and Bob Becker. Many of our outdoor sports lovers waited eagerly for their twice weekly and special columns. We have had to turn to the Chicago Sun Times for this coverage.

After reading the Sun Times outdoors column we then read the rest of the news and the Tribune remains in it's wrapper until being thrown away unopened. Your newspapers dropping this coverage is most difficult to understand especially as all around you there is evidence of greatly increased interest and spending on fishing, hunting etc. Perhaps it is because we are not in a stadium but spread out in remote areas we are under your radar.

Just witness that Bass Pro Shops has 3 large stores in Chicagoland, Cabela's has opened a huge store and is soon opening another. In addition Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, and many other stores are opening. Why will they advertise in a paper that doesn't serve their customers?

Fishers who in times past bought a cane pole for a dollar and dug up some worms to fish are now spending as much as $750 for a reel. Following is more information from the annual National Survey of Outdoor Recreation. I will be happy to supply you with more information on an area your newspaper is now not serving and return as a subscriber if this coverage is resumed.

Sincerely,

Dan Basore

Warrenville, IL

1-630-393-3474

Over 87 million U.S. residents 16 years old and older fished, hunted, or wildlife watched in 2006. During that year, 29.9 million people fished, 12.5 million hunted, and 71.1 million participated in at least one type of wildlife-watching activity including observing, feeding, or photographing wildlife.

Wildlife recreationists' avidity was reflected in their spending which totaled over $120 billion in 2006. This amounted to 1% of the United States GDP. Of the total amount spent, $37 billion was for trips, $64 billion for equipment, and $16 billion for other items.

Sportspersons spent a total of $75 billion in 2006—$41 billion on fishing, $23 billion on hunting, and $11 billion on items used for both hunting and fishing. Wildlife watchers spent $45 billion on trips, equipment, and other items.

5 YEAR TREND INFORMATION

A comparison of estimates of the 2006 and 2001 Surveys reveals that millions of Americans continue to enjoy wildlife recreation.

Fishing — Fishing continues to be a favorite pastime. In 2001, 13% of the U.S. population 16 years old and older spent an average of 17 days fishing. Comparing results of the 2006 Survey and 2001 Surveys reveals that although the number of all anglers declined 12%, their expenditures for fishing equipment (rods, reels, etc.) and fishing trips increased 5% and 7%, respectively.

Hunting — Five percent of the U.S. population 16 years old and older, 12.5 million people, hunted in 2006. They spent an average of 18 days pursuing their sport. As in the case of fishing expenditures, expenditures for hunting equipment (firearms, ammunition, etc.) actually increased 3%, as did hunting trips which rose by 13%.

Wildlife Watching — Thirty-one percent of the U.S. population 16 years old and older fed, observed, or photographed wildlife in 2006. These wildlife watchers increased in number by 8% from 2001 to 2006. Their expenditures for trips, equipment, and other items increased 2%.

From 2001 to 2006, expenditures for wildlife-watching equipment (binoculars, cameras, etc.) increased by 20% and for wildlife-watching trips by 40%.

Their contact information is;

Ann Marie Lipinski, Editor - ctc-editor@tribune.com

James Warren - Managing Editor - JCWarren@tribune.com

Dan McGrath - Associate Editor Sports - DMcGrath@tribune.com

Chicago Tribune

435 N. Michigan Ave.

Chicago, IL 60611-4041

Thanks for your help. We outdoors lovers have a job to do with so much of the press,

Dan

It will be interesting to see if they answer your letter or put it in the trash and forget about it. We have to wonder why some think as they do but I guess they don't consider it in their best interest to provide information for the Outdoorsman out in the area they cover.

Great work, Dan.

Bob Maciulis inserted an excellent article from the IDNR in the Oct. Outdoor Notebook that goes into specific details regarding IL.

You really should grab a copy and read it.

Perhaps there is a link online to the news release somewhere...

Got a call from Dan Basore this evening. He got an email back in response to his letter. The management of the Chicago Tribune informed him that they are in the process of revamping and expanding the outdoors section of their paper. Dan would like to express his thanks to those that took the time to register a complaint...for now we will all just wait and see

Don R

I hope they change their policy of not publishing items sent by conservation organizations and the like, and not even bothering to respond to us via email.

Can't even begin to tell you how many youth education event notifications and such I sent with nary a word back or publication.

That is no way to interact with groups like ours that are doing the tough work.

On the contrary, it alienates them.

I may try again in the future, but I've pretty much soured of them as a result already.

Guest rich mc

jay angel was let go from the dekalb chronicle over a month ago. they said they are revamping the outdoor section andwill expand on it. so far they have grabbed aphoto of a guy fishing on a pier on the atlantic ocean and another of aguy fishing off shore in minnesota. associated press is taking over

jay angel was let go from the dekalb chronicle over a month ago. they said they are revamping the outdoor section andwill expand on it. so far they have grabbed aphoto of a guy fishing on a pier on the atlantic ocean and another of aguy fishing off shore in minnesota. associated press is taking over

Well...that's "expansion" for ya! Crazy stuff... :blink:

Guest Team Illinois
Dear Ms. Lipinski, Mr. Warren and Mr. McGrath...

I have searched your web site and find no place to cancel my subscription which I now ask you to execute for me. I feel the need to explain why I am doing this. Your newspaper has chosen to discontinue the Outdoors recreation coverage.

Just witness that Bass Pro Shops has 3 large stores in Chicagoland, Cabela's has opened a huge store and is soon opening another. In addition Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, and many other stores are opening. Why will they advertise in a paper that doesn't serve their customers?

Fishers who in times past bought a cane pole for a dollar and dug up some worms to fish are now spending as much as $750 for a reel. Following is more information from the annual National Survey of Outdoor Recreation. I will be happy to supply you with more information on an area your newspaper is now not serving and return as a subscriber if this coverage is resumed.

Sincerely,

Dan Basore

Warrenville, IL

1-630-393-3474

Their contact information is;

Ann Marie Lipinski, Editor - ctc-editor@tribune.com

James Warren - Managing Editor - JCWarren@tribune.com

Dan McGrath - Associate Editor Sports - DMcGrath@tribune.com

Chicago Tribune

435 N. Michigan Ave.

Chicago, IL 60611-4041

Thanks for your help. We outdoors lovers have a job to do with so much of the press,

Dan

Dan,

Great start! But the next logical step is to encourage your 56 members (including me as your newest member :) ) to write the Chicago Tribune and let them know that my next call is to Bass Pro Shops, Cabellas, Gander Mtn and ask them to NOT TO ADVERTISE in the Tribune. SINCE THE TRIBUNE NO LONGER SUPPORTS THE FISHERMAN IN THE GREATER CHICAGO AREA.

Make sure to ask for the Store Manager and then the Fishing Department Manager.

BASS PRO SHOP - GURNEE 847-856-1229

BASS PRO SHOP - BOLINGBROOK 630 296-2700

CABELLAS - HOFFMAN ESTATES 847-645-0400

CABELLAS - CORPORATE 507-451-4545

GANDER MTN - GENEVA (630) 845-0505

GANDER MTN - JOLIET (815)254-2264

GANDER MTN - ROCKFORD (815) 637-9600

GANDER MTN - CORPORATE 651-325-4300